Sunday, July 14, 2019

A New Start to a RSC Quilt

For a couple of months now, I have been trying to land on a block design for my next Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt.  There were some types of fabric scraps I really wanted to focus on so I needed a block that had spaces for them.  I wanted to clean out some scraps with multiple colors and low volumes that had a lot of color in them.

I finally found a block that was going to work perfectly for what I wanted (thanks to Cathy and Diann).


My blocks look very different than theirs because they are using all low volume prints and making theirs far more scrappy.   I am using three fabrics on each block - the RSC color in the center, two low volume prints and two darker prints.



In no time at all, I made ten  6.5" blocks out of my pink bin.  I don't "love" them all.  Some have better contrast than others but I am okay with that.  In the end, I should be able to find a place for them all.  It has been ages since I made such a small RSC block.  And I laugh along with many of you, because I know this is large for some.

It is going to be fun to see this block in more colors and see what layout will present itself.

I love a new quilt start!




*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 
Quilting is more fun than Housework
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter


20 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your Bright Hopes blocks! Looks like you have some great pink scraps for them. Enjoy your Sunday, Cyndy!

Libby in TN said...

I've been thinking about doing those blocks, too. I really like your variation and may copy.

Jayne said...

It looks like a fun block to make...but partial seams?!! I had to look very closely to make sure I saw what I saw. I think the color, fabric and blocks are going to make a very beautiful quilt!

Gretchen Weaver said...

The blocks are lovely, nice twist on the pattern. I've also started making the bright hopes blocks. They're addicting! Happy Stitching!

Marly said...

I like your pink blocks; I saw them twice yesterday as well! I have to remember this block because I see it as a useful leader and ender project.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty blocks! And it's going to be a beautiful quilt soon ;)

Karen's Korner said...

Love those blocks but not so sure about doing partial seams. How did you find them?

Rebecca Grace said...

I love ALL of your new RSC blocks! When you are just looking at a few, you might think some don't have enough contrast, but I think those make the finished quilt that much better because some of the blocks will seem to come forward while others recede. Just make sure you mix 'em up good in your final layout and they will look great together!

KaHolly said...

That block is perfect for RSC! It was worth the wait, for sure, and is going to play well with all the other colors in the rainbow to be a gorgeous quilt. Well done!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I love your pink blocks and the way you are applying color to the block. A whole bunch of them in different colors will be fabulous.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh those are great blocks!!! What fun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh! I like how you adapted the Bright Hopes block to suit your needs! Looking forward to watching your collection grow.

Miaismine said...

These are really cute blocks! I really like them and how they highlight the center fabric - like a window. Nicely done!

Mystic Quilter said...

Super little blocks, I love them and they remind me of the ice cream s we used to have as kids with raspberry sauce on top! I'm thinking I might join in RSC again next year, I have a block which would work quite nicely.

JanineMarie said...

I love your new blocks. It must be a blast picking out the fabrics for each one.

Cathy said...

I like that variation! Looks like you will have a secondary stair step pattern going too.

Janice Kay Schaub said...

whats a quick way to put that together please (your pink one) Thanks, following now

Judy Seaman said...

Please show us how you did the partial seams. I see that others have asked and I don't see a response. It would be a perfect pattern for the quilt I plan to make for my husband's birthday, but I have to know how it is done please. Those blocks are super cute and even the ones you don't love will look fantastic when they are all sewn together.

Ramona said...

I've made this type of quilt using a larger center square. What size is your center and then size of the sides?

Thanks

Kelly said...

Love your Bright Hopes block. I was just cutting scrap's for something.

01 09 10