Sunday, January 24, 2021

Oh Scrap! : Another New Start

 This new year began with a flurry of new starts for me.  Before I could get a handle on it, I had started almost half a dozen new quilts.



One of the scrap quilts I started uses brown scraps!
Lately I haven't been including brown in my rainbow scrap quilts.  So the color bin has been slowly swelling.  I decided to pull all the chocolate brown shades and cut them all into 1.5" strips.  I added in some 1.5" cream shade strips and made 21 of these courthouse steps styled blocks.  They will finish at 11" square.




Twenty one blocks will not make a quilt so I decided to move onto the blue bin and pull all my dark navy scraps.  I still started with a black square and added more of the cream strips.  I am just getting started on these.




But I think my plan will be to alternate the columns of colors and stagger the blocks - which means I will need to make some "half" blocks (in quotes because they will need to be slightly bigger to account for seam allowances.  If only I could just cut blocks in half...)

I have been sewing these blocks as a leader/ender project and am surprised at how quickly they are coming together.  I hope to cross this off as finished in February!

We'll see if my sister wants this one....she is building a new house soon and maybe she can give this one a home.  She is pretty traditional and I think she will like it when she sees it.

Now let's see your scrappy inspirations!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter






26 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

The chocolate and midnight blue look great together!!!

Ivani said...

OMG Cynthia, half a dozen new quilts???
Log cabin is always versatile and your blocks look so pretty together.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like putting the blocks in columns like that

Jayne said...

Six.New.Quilts?! I wish I had your motivation, determination and scrap piles! I'm not a brown fan, but with the cream these blocks totally grab my attention. I personally think putting the brown and blue together is a brilliant idea!

Marti said...

I never would have thought to use dark brown and dark blue together, but I really like it. I'm drawn to darker colors lately and this makes me swoon.

Cathy said...

What's not to love about Courthouse Steps? And good for you for using brown! I love brown. And I also very recently found it very difficult to cut blocks in half.

scraphappy said...

Great color combination. It is a traditional look. Another start isn't a bad thing as long as something gets finished. You have a lot of finishes too! SO a new start isn't as consequential as it would be for those who don't follow through.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Pretty! I like the frame around each block that develops when you offset the rows like that. A question for you, though - I have trouble getting blocks made with 1.5 inch strips to come out square. They're always a bit wonky - probably a seam allowance issue. Do you have any tips for that? Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

gayle said...

Ooo! I love blue and brown together - this is going to be great!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful new project! Have fun with all your new starts ;)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Blue and brown is a great combination! I once quilted with a gal at retreat that every year she brought a project that was primarily blue and brown. She thought that this was the best combination in the world! Your blocks are wonderful!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those blocks are awesome - and they will look great together. I feel like 12 new starts for you is just par for the course - and they will be finished in a day hahaha!!!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Very pretty blocks...love the blue and browns together. This will be beautiful when finished. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely! I love the way the design is shaping up.

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Nann said...

Yep -- more starts than finishes for 2021. I guess we can say the year is off to a bountiful start! I look forward to seeing how your courthouse steps blocks progress.

Bonnie said...

That's a lot of quilt starts for just one month! I've started a few but not that many! I'm hoping to finish at least 2 quilts this week if all goes well. You are well on your way to finish the Courthouse Steps.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

It sounds like you have been super busy and motivated, Cynthia. Your fabrics in the blocks are so yummy. Have a wonderful week and Happy quilting.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Cynthia, your navy and chocolate blocks look really lovely. It's going to make a great quilt. Take care.

dq said...

I really love these blocks, and they look like you hand picked the fabrics from the quilt shop instead of your stash.

KaHolly said...

So, so much scrappy inspiration! Leader/ender is the way to go!

Vicki in MN said...

I really like your courthouse steps blocks, is it possible to use the log cabin die for these?

Sharon Kwilter said...

Those blocks look wonderful. I guess all these leftover log cabin strips are worth keeping. LOL

Susan said...

The colors and layout look great together!

Kathy M said...

I don’t know what size the center black square starts as, or finished up at, but maybe you would start with a rectangle that is 2x as tall (plus maybe a bit more for seam allowance, and build those half blocks that way, then just cut in half? If that makes any sense. However you make them, it will be a lovely quilt when done.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the staggered setting with these blocks.

Himawan Sant said...

Oh, this motif looks even more unique with its different placement.
So a beautiful combination of patterns.

Good handwork.
Greetings from Indonesia.

01 09 10