Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wouldn't Quilt Without...

There is one item I use so often when I am quilting that I thought I would share.  They are these Designs with Lines stencils by Home Stitches.  I was introduced to them when I took a class from Pam Clarke years ago and I have loved them ever since.






I tend to do a lot of geometric line work in my quilting and who wants to measure out and mark.  These stencils make it so easy...They come in 3 widths (1", 1.5" and 2") so there is always one that is the perfect fit.









I use the white miracle chalk and apply it lightly with a cheap foam brush.  I don't use a pounce pad as it tends to get too messy.

You can still see it even when quilting on white.  It usually helps to turn your machine light off.






I can then just quilt away and wipe the chalk off with a slightly damp cotton cloth as I go.

If you are a little heavy handed with the chalk, any chalk residue will disappear with a warm iron or steam.
 There are a number of other configurations available.  These two I use occasionally but I reach for my line stencils every week.

Thanks for stopping in.  This posting I will be linking up with Really Random Thursday, Free Motion Quilting Friday and Thanks Goodness it's Finished Friday.  Be sure and check them out and all the other bloggers who link up.




23 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

I have the magic chalk. I have never seen these stencils before--they are great! Thanks.

Jeni B Quilts said...

I need some of these, thanks for the great info! By the way your quilt pictured is beautiful!

Allison said...

my straight line quilting wobbles every which way, these stencils look like a good solution to that problem. thanks for sharing!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I don't see a lot of people using them so I thought I would share. Thanks for stopping in.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

My customer loved her quilt too. It was a big queen quilt so there was a lot of quilting on it.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Practice will get that wobble out. Thanks for stopping in...

Pat Merkle said...

Cool stencils! I know you quilt on a longarm, do you use a straight edge or is this free hand?

Diane Wagner said...

Thanks for sharing these great tools. I just love the simple straight line quilting....it really compliments the quilt.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I'm a big fan of white chalk as a marking tool. I use a Chalk-o-liner. Thanks to your suggestion I now have a way to use my stencils with chalk and skip the pounce.

Marelize Ries said...

I should really consider getting some stencils for myself too, your quilting looks amazing!

Stella Nemeth said...

Thanks for showing those stencils to us. I have never even heard about them before. Great idea.

Gerda said...

I never heard of miracle chalk, I should find it! Thanks for sharing

M-R Charbonneau said...

Cool stencils. Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks Diane. It was perfect

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Yes Gwyned, the foam brush is so much easier to use. You also don't use as much chalk.

I also use slot of plain white school chalk to sketch out patterns.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks for stopping by Stella. I don't see them very often either...they seem to be a well kept secret so I thought I would share.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Yes Gerda, it is great stuff. It is usually sold with a pounce pad but it isn't necessary. necessary cheap foam brush is all you need.

Hope you stop by again.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I visited your blog and love it! You have some really great quilting ideas. I'm your newest follower! Looking forward to visiting often!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Welcome Rosemary! Glad you found me. I also post to my Facebook page closeups of quilting almost on a daily basis. If you have FB, take a peak at Cynthia Brunz Designs.

Laura said...

They look great! Well done!

Jessica Pyykkonen said...

Nifty tool! I have never used a tool like that, thanks for introducing me to it. Beautiful work.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Thank you- I purchased a stencil and had no idea what to do with it! I've just only started to try the quilting part of making the quilt.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks for stopping in. Be sure and stop by again for more helpful ideas.

01 09 10