Saturday, February 23, 2013

Then and Now




Remember my sewing room?


Yeesh....How did I get anything done in there!








Well, it is finally painted, cleaned out and slowly getting put back together. 
Here's what I have done so far. 





Two pretty shades of purple with white trim.

An original artwork on the wall.

...and if it wasn't in process, it was removed from the room!







Look there...I have a cutting table I can actually use!  (I do need a bigger mat however...)



I also got my white boards and cork boards put up.  You never know when inspiration is going to strike and you need to write something down.

 And once the room was put back together, the ironing board needed a new cover.

I also painted the legs of the board a pretty shade of purple - No more avocado green!








I was originally going to use this old wine display cabinet I had to store bins on.  In a matter of days it was looking cluttered....

I had just spent quite a bit of energy fixing up the room and I felt this was just wrong...




And then a friend turned me on to some old lockers that were for sale.  Add a few wood shelves inside and a little more purple paint and it fits right in.


Boy, do I love those closed doors!  Plus all of my spare sewing machines are now stowed away.











And now that I have a metal surface, I can bring these cute things into my sewing room.

 These little stainless steel cans hold my buttons.
 


 





Shhh....Don't tell my sisters, but I have all of my grandmother's buttons.

I have far more than I can fit in these containers but I do have a nice selection of each color.

 




And when they are mounted to the cabinet with their magnetic bottoms, the clear glass top allows me to see the color.


Cute, right?!?




And finally, if you don't have one many of these, you should look into getting some.  I keep them under my cutting table to collect all those leftover scraps of fabrics.

This one has 'strings' that are already cut and just waiting to be made into a scrappy quilt top.






I still have a few more things I want to incorporate into the room.  I will share them as I get them done.  It is so nice to have an organized workspace.  Since it has been put back together, I have finished two quilt tops and am halfway done with a third.  I am going to work through those thirty somethings UFOs in no time......

If you want to see a few more sewing room fix ups, Sewing By Moonlight is having a Big Clean link up. I can't wait to see what others have done!



28 comments:

QuiltinWayne said...

Lookin good Cynthia. ..

Kathy Kinsella said...

A great transformation ... and to think that I never have considered painting the avocado ironing board that I have!!

thebutterflyquilter said...

Wow it looks wonderful! Nice to have everything in its place.

Pat Merkle said...

Wonderful! Nothing like organizing and decorating you sewing room to inspire a little more quilting! Great job!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks Wayne...and thanks for all the marketing support. I appreciate it!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks Kathy. It was kinda hard to change the color. I have had that board for over 30 years.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks Patricia. Hopefully I can keep it that way!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks Pat! It's so fresh and clean and a joy to work in.

Joni said...

Very inspirational, can't wait to paint my ironing board, and getting little magnetic tins for small notions (I have spices in them in my kitchen). I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Beth said...

Your room looks great! I can't wait to redo my space when the kids leave home - not too long. I always find it is easier to get more done when things are not all over!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your sewing room looks wonderful! I was just thinking if I have a couple of free hours this afternoon I would like to organize fabric--always an ongoing project...

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks Joni...I'm working on a cute clock idea I hope to post soon. Hope you check back later.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks Beth - it has been so nice to work in. Hopefully I can keep it cleaned up and keep those items that don't belong...out.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thankfully my fabric is all stored in a big walk in closet. It makes it easy to just close the door and ignore it. ;-)

jjthor said...

Love your room ! It looks so relaxing!

KellyS said...

Wow, another entire room for sewing. I can wish, someday... definitely when the kids leave, but I have 17 years to wait there. AT least the laundry/sewing/kids' toy room won't always be a kids' toy room. :) Your space looks amazing. Love the buttons in the little containers, I have too many buttons for that (I scrapbooked prior to sewing, so I have a lot of miscellaneous buttons).

Corina said...

great sewing room!

quiltingfrenzy said...

Lovely room! I like seeing what others do with their sewing spaces and always find inspiration in their designs. Love the metal lockers.

Patchwork Mill, Maria said...

What a wonderful room for sewing and quilting! Congrats!

Glenda said...

Oh to have that space where you can just walk away and come back a day or a week later and just start where you left off. Like the filing cabinet idea I have one of those lying about I'm off to rescue it for the same idea, I also have those wee containers on my fridge with nicknacks in them, buttons sound so much more fun!!!!!! Thanks for sharing CHeers Glenda down Under

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I feel quite blessed to have all that space. Hope someday you are able to have a room of your own.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks qf. I love the lockers too but I had forgotten how noisy they are!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks for visiting. I will be posting more fun ideas in the future. Hope you visit again!

Glinda ♥ said...

Very inspiring indeed! I need to re-cover my ironing board and I also need to have a BIG tidy up!! Thanks for sharing your great sewing space :)

Penny said...

Nice. I wish I a whole room to use! I have the dining room, which has only one full wall, then a partial wall with a window, a wall that opens to the kitchen {like to reach through and pass things}, and the one corner that is missing and open to the kitchen and hallway.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks Penny - I do love having all that space. Of copurse, that also can mean I can make a bigger mess!

Thanks for stopping by...

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! I was reading till here your wonderful blog! Your works are beautiful and what a great sewing space you have! x Teje

K Quilts at Home (Karen) said...

Hi Cynthia,
Love the colors of your room and so organized, great job! I was looking for inspiration on cleaning my room and found your blog, thanks for sharing. Karen

01 09 10