Thursday, March 14, 2013

Time

As many of you know, I have been slowly reorganizing and cleaning up my sewing room.  Working away in there, I am always loosing track of time so I have been looking for a fun clock to put on the wall.  Not finding what I wanted, I decided to make one.  It was so easy and fun, I decided to share the process with you.

 

 Here's what you will need...
     1. A clock mechanism
     2. A deep canvas (deep enough for the
             clock mechanism)
     3. Staple Gun
     4. Scrap cotton batting
     5. Sharp Pointed scissors
     6. A fun fabric




I used a 8" square canvas.  I laid fabric over the canvas to select what motif I wanted on the clock face.  I then roughly cut the fabric so it was large enough to wrap around the canvas.  I placed batting between the canvas and the fabric for a softer look.  I started stapling from the center...




Getting the corners right was a little tricky but I ended up with everything all stapled down.  I then trimmed it up closer (the picture to the right is untrimmed).  If you wanted to hot glue some wide ribbon to hide all the rough edges, you definitely could.  As it hangs on the wall, I wasn't worried about it.


I did find it was necessary to place a few layers of batting between the  clock mechanism and the canvas.  Otherwise there is a small gap and the mechanism pulls on the canvas.  I just cut a small X in the batting so the threaded area for the hands could come through.


To make a hole for the clock mechanism to come through, I used some sharp pointed scissors (not my best ones) and carefully made a hole big enough to fit the clock.


It needs to be about 1/4".  Read the instructions on the clock kit you purchase.



Most clock kits come with stick on numbers.  You can choose to use them or not.  I like the look without them...


Here it is hanging in my sewing room.  I love how the clock dial is not centered and the fabric makes a fun face for the clock hands.


I made a second one for my quilting studio out of a piece from Laura Gunn's collection.  I used a much larger rectangular canvas for this one...


Caution - These little clocks are so easy and addictive, you might end up making one for every room.






If you try this and blog about it, please link back here.  I would love to see how yours turn out!

Sharing this idea with a few linky parties:

Let's Get Acquainted at Busy Bee Quilts
Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story
Show and Tell Tuesday at I Have To Say...
WIP Weds at Freshly Pieced


20 comments:

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

That is such a cool idea! Love it!

thebutterflyquilter said...

Love this idea! Thanks for showing me how!!

DownHome Designs said...

Cyndy, I LOVE this! What a fun project! Thanks for sharing!

Paulette said...

How cool is that! You make it look so easy too. Thanks for the walk through how to do.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks for stopping by. The clocks are very easy...you should give them a try.

Annabella said...

That's a great idea! Thanks for the tute. Visiting from Let's Get Acquainted.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I think one in every room would be great :)

Mareenchen said...

Awesome idea! Thanks for the tute.

Anna said...

That's such a great idea! Thanks for showing us how to do it :) Turned out great!

Barb Neiwert said...

What a great little project! I'll definitely keep this in mind for my new sewing room.

Dee said...

How fun and fabulously beautiful! Awesome tutorial!

claudia said...

What a fantastic idea! I am the buyer for our art department in the local hardware store. (I know! Art in a hardware store?) I sell foam board and was thinking that the foam board would make some great clock backgrounds, but your idea of the stretched canvas is better so the clock mechanism is tucked away neatly. I'm going to have to make a few of these! Thank you!

Bunny said...

Great idea, have made some of those a few years ago with embroidery. Love yours.

Linda Beth said...

Wonderful! You make it look so easy, too! I can see how it would become addictive and might just have to try one out for myself. By the way, I LOVE both of your fabric choices! Thanks for sharing.

Live a Colorful Life said...

What a great idea, and it's fabulous the way you placed the clock mechanism in that offcenter circle.

Esther Aliu said...

I love this idea, what a great use of fabric, I definitely won't be buying my next clock, this is too charming not to do!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I really like that one in the poppy fabric! Thanks for linking up:)

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

This is so clever! I was just thinking that I'd love a wall clock for my quilting room and now I have the perfect solution.

Jo said...

I have seen this done with a Dresden plate block. Great idea

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love this idea! Would make the perfect gift and you can personalize it so easy!! Perfect post to reshare this week! (Esp with Christmas just around the corner...iks!) With smiles! V

01 09 10