Friday, December 15, 2017

Another Quick Finish

As I was stuffing away orphan blocks into my little suitcase, I just couldn't help noticing there were a bunch of blocks in turquoise and lime green.  Somehow those blocks found their way onto a design wall....just to see what would come of them!




Well, those orphan blocks turned into this fun lap quilt. and my suitcase was 42 blocks lighter!



I used some gray solids to frame up all the blocks.  This not only gave the blocks a unifying feel but it also helped to resize all the blocks to a correct size. (Sometimes there is a reason blocks get rejected from a project.)  I used both dark and light gray and most of them came out of the scrap bin.




I pulled a number of HSTs and retrimmed them to a new size to create some newer blocks.

For the quilting, I used the block construction as a guide and quilted in some big echoing squares.




And for the backing, I dug REALLY deep in my stash and found this older Martha Negley fabric.  It wasn't quite wide enough so I added in some triangle fabric.  It is totally unexpected and adds some pizzazz!

Now the orphan block suitcase is all hidden away in the cabinet and I can go back to working on the many other projects that are in the works.  

This one will be kept for teaching purposes with all of my other orphan block quilts.  I love having lots of examples of how to use orphan blocks to create lovely quilts.  Students are always so amazed at what can be done with blocks that would otherwise be thrown away!





Linking Up:


22 comments:

PegP said...

Fabulous! I always love this colour combo!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great way to use up leftover blocks!

Barb Neiwert said...

Very creative! My leftovers, however, are a very weird combination of colors - guess I'll just have to keep quilting so I have more, and more in my Leftover Stash!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Do you accept donations of orphan blocks?

Pat said...

Orphans no more! This turned out great.

Bernie Kringel said...

Wow! This looks like a planned-from-the-beginning project. You did a fantastic job of pulling it together and making it a cohesive design. It is really pretty!

cityquilter grace said...

great little quilt using those orphan blocks....looks preplanned too

Jo said...

What a fun way to put your blocks together. It looks like they were designed to be together. Good job.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Such a great way to use up those blocks! I love how you used the grey to unify them & bring them up to size, effective! And that backing fabric is wonderful!

Karen's Korner said...

Such fresh looking colours.

Kat said...

Another great finish! I love how you fit together different sized blocks.

Louise said...

Love the pop of triangles among the leafy greens on the back! Very fun quilt :)

Charlotta said...

That’s a great quilt! Hard to believe it wasn’t planned that way!

Cathy said...

I’m so impressed how you always manage to make a cute quilt out of leftovers and things from the Parts Department. I’m looking forward to trying this after the first of the year! Thanks for always inspiring us!

Pamela Arbour said...

You really have a good eye for making designs from orphan blocks. Just beautiful.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's amazing how you turned some orphan blocks into a fantastic quilt! Great idea to frame the blocks to bring them to the size you want.

Peggyinno said...

Very, very creative! I love the gray you added to make this. I am very impressed!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so pretty, Cyndy! I love the different gray solids that you used. They really play up the turquoise and lime green.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Another spectacular Orphan Block quilt!!!

Jasmine said...

This is darling and will make a great teaching example. I have found it nice to have some smaller examples for when I teach.

sewyouquilt2 said...

love it. it is so so fun to see what direction blocks want to go.
great use of those blocks

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

The grey sashing is a stroke of genius, and this is a very wonderful quilt. You're students are going to love this one.

01 09 10