Sunday, November 7, 2021

Oh Scrap! : Not Always Perfect

 Last Sunday I shared some scrappy nine patches made from some low volume scraps.




I have quite a few prints in my scrap bins that have a white background that never seem to have a home.  So I decided to come up with a simple design to use some of them up.

One block is a simple nine patch made with all 3.5" squares in a low volume.




This week I sewed some blocks with black/white squares.





Together they look like this.  

I tried to use up the scraps I have and when I picked my black and white prints, some I feel had a bit too much white.  It would have looked less busy if I hade focused on fabrics that were all dark.

Not perfect but I am not changing it.  I still have two rows of blocks to sew and I will try and make them all with dark black squares.  When I work on the final layout, I will try and place the light darks around the edge so the middle chains show up more.

Even though it isn't turning out quite like I envisioned it, I still like it for its scrappiness!

So tell me, do you give up on scrap quilts if they aren't quite perfect?


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter




22 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

With those darker squares in every other 9 patch, the chain effect shows up. I like it! Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I like what you've got going here, even if it's not exactly what you had in mind. When this happens to me, I take my cue from antique quilts and just keep going! Not "perfect" often means more interesting!

Chantal said...

I'm with Sylvia on this one. Not perfect means interesting. When it turns out not quite what I envisioned, I learn. Sometimes I will use that piece for the backing of something scrappy but more interesting. You're blocks play well together. I understand that it's not what you wanted but it is still very beautiful and so scrappy. It's almost an I Spy quilt. Keep going, I say. It will grow on you. ;^)

Ivani said...

Better done than perfect is something I am lerning from quilting.
I like your blocks as they are.

sue s said...

I like the black chains. That will be nice; don't give up! That said, I actually have given up on a paper-pieced string quilt because the trim insert pieces are not the same. Sloppy cutting on my part. I may eventually cut them all down and go with a more compact quilt.

Cathy said...

Is there such a thing as an imperfect scrap quilt??

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I'm with Cathy as I don't think of a scrap quilt as being imperfect! Those black blocks make a striking design and I like how some blocks "fade" a bit. . .I thought that was a design choice!

LA Paylor said...

well I REALLY love your blocks, the black and white together with confetti colors sprinkled in. SO good

Marie said...

I wouldn't change a thing - love the subtleties.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

It looks perfect to me! Interesting for certain. We keep learning as we go. For a scrap quilt, this totally works.

Susie H said...

I love scrap quilts and they're all perfect in my mind. This one is really pretty. I like the way the darker (black) squares form paths throughout the top.

Turid said...

I never find scrappy quilts imperfect. Yours is just darling. I love it when the chains are varying like that. Good luck with finishing the quilt.

Nann said...

I like the way the chains of black squares punctuate the low-volume patches.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I think the black and white nine patches are going to work out great in the end. It's a fantastic scrap project!

Jeanna said...

I have a ton of scraps stored in bags and bins. I keep thinking that one day I'm going to organize them somehow and turn them into something useful. Unfortunately, we are between homes and those pieces are in a storage unit. I don't have space right now to dive into them. However, I do get inspiration from your linky party so that one day.... :)

Susan said...

Another great looking scrap quilt!

Jenny said...

The black and white together with the low volume blocks look great together, you came up with yet another good idea!

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm pleased you decided not to change anything with the blacks and whites, they look so good up on your wall!

QuiltGranma said...

I LOVE scrappy! I Love 9-patches! what is not to love here? Inspiration!!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE this!! I would DEFINITELY keep going, but your solution for darker blocks for the center should work well, too.

Pamela Arbour said...

I don't think anything needs changing. I like it.

Pamela Arbour said...

I don't think anything needs changing. I like it.

01 09 10