Friday, December 24, 2021

Low Volume Scraps

Yippee! -  I was able to squeeze in one more quilt finish in 2021.




One type of scraps I have been heavily focused on recently are my low volumes.  I tend to use the really low volumes up pretty quickly.  But those that have a lot more volume tend to pile up.

I decided to chop them up into 3.5" squares and make a quilt from them.  I added in some black scraps for maximum contrast.




I really am pleased with how it turned out!

Back in November I shared some early progress and was disappointed with some of the black fabrics I was using.  I darkened up my chains for the rest of the blocks and I am so happy I did.  (You can see a lot of the lighter blacks around the edges.  I think I did a pretty good job hiding them.)





A big positive about scrap quilts is just about any fabric will work for the backing.  I used one of the large cuts I picked up in the clearance section at Connecting Threads.  I also framed it up nicely by using an older black print I have had in my stash for years.

It was hard to get a photo of the quilting but I followed the squares and made a fun jigsaw puzzle pattern.  The hardest part on this pattern is remembering if you are quilting an "innie" or an "outie" partial circle.  I admit I made a few mistakes here and there.

I have now shifted my focus to turning more low volume scraps into scrappy placemats. 
I have a small pile already quilted and just waiting to be trimmed and bound.

Wishing all of you who celebrate a very Happy Christmas this weekend.  May you all spend the holiday season celebrating love and hoping for peace.




14 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

that is beautiful....you have inspired me yet again1

Chantal said...

I disagree. You didn't do a "pretty good job", you did a GREAT job! I too don't use the "darker" low volume much and they pile up, so I appreciate the inspiration. Great quilt. Congrats! Have a very Merry everywhere you go and a Happy every day of the year. ;^)

Ivani said...

It is a beautiful quilt Cynthia! Great work using your lot more volume from your low volume scraps bin. The darker black works so well for the chains.
Merry Christmas!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those lighter nines are well hidden. . .what a great fix! Congratulations on the lovely finish! Merry Christmas to you too!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

It turned out so well; moving the lighter, more mottled black fabrics to the edge was a perfect solution. Merry Christmas!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how this one turned out! Using the black nine patches to emphasize the chain running through was such a great idea. I would love to look at all those fun low volume prints in person! Merry Christmas, Cyndi!

Michele said...

Nice scrap quilt. Maybe in the new year I can find the time to do something with my growing pile of scraps. Merry Christmas!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those black scraps really make your fun low volume prints sing, Cynthia. Congrats on another awesome quilt finish!

Barb N said...

You should be pleased with this finish - it turned out so well! Merry Christmas!

Julie in GA said...

I love your not-so-low volume quilt! It can be hard to use those prints, but you tamed them beautifully!

maggie fellow said...

great quilt

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a great finish!!! that black just pops !

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on another finish before the end of 2021! It's a very nice scrappy quilt.

KaHolly said...

Pretty awesome little quilt!

01 09 10