Friday, October 28, 2022

Orphan Block Quilt Finish

 Earlier this month, a quilty friend of mine gave me a giant stack of orphan blocks.   I was in heaven and started sewing right away.




I think this was the last photo I had shared.  I pulled out some of the blocks from the bag and decided to make a kid's quilt.




Well, I have already sewn them into a cute little quilt.  I wanted to use a print background and I knew the blocks would get lost as they were, so I framed them in a rainbow of solids - all from my scrap bins.



I didn't have enough log cabin blocks so I used some checkerboard blocks I found.  I used gray spacers to make them the right side.  I even added in a few small 4 patches I found.  I love using everything I can squeeze into these quilts.



I had to do a bit of repair on the hedgehog and the round block.  I just tried to find some fabrics from my scraps that matched the closest.  




I had the perfect fabric in my stash for the back.  I finished it off with a gray binding.  



It turned out kinda cute!  The backing I used was left over trimmings from a previous quilt backing.  I really like how it works with the blocks.

I will be gifting this quilt back to my friend that gave me all the blocks.  I think leftovers from five different projects went into making this little quilt. A lot of the prints in the blocks are all fun novelty fabrics - there are so many fun things to find. 

I am already working on a second quilt, so I hope to share that one soon.





Need Thread?  Check out these deals at the Fat Quarter Shop.


14 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a cute little quilt! Your friend will be thrilled with this quilt, happy stitching!

Libby in TN said...

Great job! I might steal your idea of bordering the blocks for the orphan quilt I am working on.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is cute as can be! Those orphan blocks must have really inspired you this week. I like the rainbow frames around the blocks and that backing is so perfect! Great finish, Cyndy!

sue s said...

I love this! And the hedgehogs really pull it all together so it doesn't look haphazard. I'm sure your friend will be pleased.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Super cute finish! Those hedgehogs sure make the quilt extra special! Your friend will love it!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

No one would ever think that this quilt was the leftovers from 5 other projects; it all looks like it was meant to be together. And what a perfect backing for the quilt, too.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, a cute quilt for sure! Such a great way to use those leftover blocks up

Kate said...

You'd never know this quilt is made from orphan blocks. Very cute!

Unknown said...

That is a fabulous quilt, and an inspiring idea. ❤️

The Joyful Quilter said...

I knew you would pull off a fantastic Orphan Block quilt finish with your friend's leftovers, Cynthia!! You certainly didn't disappoint.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so super cute!! and the backing is so perfect for it!! you are a master of Scraps!

Jasmine said...

This is the cutest! I love how the border around the blocks give them each a nice frame.

QuiltGranma said...

What a darling quilt with "scraps"!

Louise said...

Oo, I love the idea of the solid color frames! This orphan block quilt turned out great :)

01 09 10