Friday, December 16, 2022

Rail Fence Quilt Number One

 Here it is...The first of the quilts made for the hospital using the rail fence blocks!

Let me say first, that one of the objectives in making these donation quilts is I really wanted to use up some of my older fabric. So I started out with designs that needed some of the brown fabrics I have in my stash.



The rail fence blocks in this first quilt were all made out of my stash.  I decided to make just a horizontal design using blocks and an older rusty leaf fabric I had that I knew I would never use.



There wasn't quite enough of the fabric for the whole quilt so I added two strips of another brown.  The strip at the top and bottom I made 5" and the rest of the horizontal strips were 3".



I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.  
It used 77 blocks and about 1 yard of unloved fabric out of my stash.  

The finished size is 55" x 65"



I used a navy blue dot fabric on the back and bound it with another blue print fabric.

The second quilt (using donated blocks from sone of you) is ready to be quilted.  
I hope to get to it this weekend.

If you want to read more about this project, you can follow this link.


Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!



Linking Up:

8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love the blues and browns together, and the way you finished them with the strips! I didn't manage to make any of these blocks yet - do you need more? Hopefully, I can join in after getting a few "must dos" off my list!

Michelle said...

Beautiful! The blues and browns play so well together.

Astrid said...

Beautiful quilt, love the color combination.

Chantal said...

Simple and fast to make but with the two different background fabrics, interesting. Well done. ;^)

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The blues compliment the browns perfectly. Hooray for using up 1 yard of unloved fabric from your stash, and I look forward to all the other variations you explore with the blocks you have been sent.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Great method to integrate another brown when your "stash" was a little shy! I like the horizontal flow which is unique to me! Well done!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Look at you go!!!!
Love the rails and the brown strippies in between -
spreading the love - LOVE it!!!

Kate said...

What a great way to use up unloved stash. A very fun finish for a good cause.

01 09 10