Friday, April 28, 2023

Churn Dash Quilts #5 and #6

 I have been finishing so many quilts lately.  Every night, my little helper snuggles up next to me as I work on hand-sewing bindings.  We both really enjoy the process!


The fifth quilt I have made from the Churn Dash blocks is this fun one which uses only 12" blocks and some gifted dark blue fabric.  I really do appreciate when there is a cut of fabric in with blocks - it is usually what inspires me for a design.

I also loved the pieced pinwheels in the center of two of the blocks.  You can see I put them in two corners of the quilt.


I used the last of this fabric for the backing.  I also used a scrappy binding.  As scraps are created, anything I can get a 2.5" strip from, gets cut and sewn into a continuous binding.



I love, love, love this layout.  I received a bunch of red and white four patches that were made from all the same fabric.  I was instantly inspired to use them as chains.  I didn't have quite enough so I worked in a few others that I received.  I think it just adds to the charm.

It is hard to see, but I used the backing trimmings from the fifth quilt to make the binding for the 6th quilt.  Nothing is wasted!



Here is the back - it really is a very fun quilt!

I have scheduled the next week to only work on Compassion quilts.  I have caught up with the hand bindings so I hope to build up another pile.  I want to finish up all of these quilts by the end of May.  
In June we start the next block drive!


On another note:  I was wondering why my email inbox seemed so quiet and discovered I have not been getting notifications on comments left on the last few posts.  I spent a few minutes trying to figure out what is wrong but it is going to take some time to research.  Sorry for not responding to your comments.  I hope to get that figured out soon!
(...If anyone has a fix, please email me.  Thanks!!!)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!  We are having some fabulous weather so I am finally doing some gardening.  And yes, Arthur is a great help outside too!



I think every glove I own now has a hole in it...




Connecting Threads is having an end of bolt sale....

10 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

No worries about email replies to my comments, but I hope you can get it figured out soon; technology glitches like that can be frustrating. I love how the backing scraps turned into the binding for the next quilt, and using the 4-patch blocks as a chain worked out beautifully! Have a lovely weekend. :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I can't believe you're on #5 and 6 of the churn dashes already! These are great designs - and such perfect backings, too. I think a lot of us have had the same problem with comments not going to email this week, and I was able to fix mine, although had to fumble around with it a bit. In Settings you go to "Comment notification email" and take out your email, and then re-enter it. I also ended up enabling Comment moderation because that sends comments to my email, too. Hope this works for you!

Vicki in MN said...

Beautiful and scrappy, great work!! If you do find a fix could you pretty please post it, you are not alone in this glitch!

Nann said...

The comment glitch is affecting all of us who use Blogger. I've gone to settings and resent my email but not sure if that will work. The layout for the second quilt is very intriguing. When you said "four-patches" I looked again and got it! I'm going to save that idea.

Libby in TN said...

You are so inspiring with all your creative settings!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Oh those churn dash quilts are incredible!! I just love how they came out. I hadn't seen your post until this evening and boy oh boy have you been busy!! As I mentioned, my stuff is in the mail to you. I must tell you that the churn dash was never my favorite and now it has become an obsession with me!! Thank you for helping me see the beauty and fun with these blocks. The combinations you come up with are so fun. I look forward to helping with the next challenge. Cynthia...you totally rocked this one!!

Heather said...

I love, love, love the chain layout too! Very inspiring

Kate said...

Wow! Such fun churn dash quilts, each one of the different. I'm always amazed at how many looks you can get from one block. Hope you've been able to fix the comment issue. I followed Diann's (Little Penguin Quilts) recommendations and now my comments are going to email. I've got comment moderation enabled, I may turn it off sometime next week to see what happens.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those turned out great, Cynthia! I'm particularly fond of #6, as well. You are SEW good at coming up with interesting quilt layouts!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That layout with the chains and two sizes of churn dashes is a total WOW! You are such an inspiration to me. . .I'm still slogging away on 64 patch blocks but, I am making progress!!! I don't know a fix to your reply to comment issue. Technology when it works is amazing. When there is a glitch though. . .UGH!!!! Share what you did when you locate the fix. I'll likely have the same issue at some point!

01 09 10