Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Turning Tops into Quilts

 So many generous quilters have been sending me quilt tops to finish and donate as Compassion Quilts.  I have been so busy turning blocks into quilts that I feel like I never have the time to get to them.

Well, today I have three to share!



Becky made this first top - the minute I saw it, I knew I had the perfect backing for it! 



A friend had donated a few large cuts of fabric that had been in her stash for a long time and just never seemed right for any of her quilts.  So she gave them to me.  When she gave me this crazy print, she said she hoped I could use it someday...Funny that it found its home so quickly.  Doesn't it look perfect?!



I already had all of my patriotic fabric out for the block drive so when I saw this top Sue sent in, it was easy to find a fun backing for it.



I had a fabric that had red, white and blue balloons on it.  This quilt measures 48" x 56" so I thought it could go to a veteran or to a child.  Hope it lifts someone's spirits.




And finally, check out this charming scrappy quilt made by McGill.  I fell in love with this postage stamp design.  The quilt measures 49" x 58".  I might just have to make another postage stamp quilt...



I was gifted a bunch of fabric and one of the larger cuts was a vintage tablecloth panel.  I knew it needed a charming quilt like this one.  I sewed the fabric so that the tablecloth "drop" were sewn together to create the strip of flowers across the back.  I really love how this one turned out!

A big thanks so Becky, Julie, Sue, Nann, McGill and Kat for your generosity and help to make these Compassion Quilts happen.



BTW - I delivered 30 quilts to the hospital yesterday - my trunk was full!

Friday I will have some Churn Dash quilts to share.  So stay tuned!




Connecting Threads is having an end of bolt sale....


8 comments:

karenbbsnow said...

Three beauties, and wow, those backings are all perfect.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Wow! That first backing is PERFECT for that top!! It was waiting for the perfecting pairing! Well done on having such a full load to deliver. May many sprites be lifted when these quilts find their homes.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh what a wonderful collection of new quilts. Beautiful backings to complement them. I don't agree with just throwing anything on the back. What a great delivery!

Kate said...

All your backings are as fun as the quilts. That first backing does match really well, but my favorite is the tablecloth one. Congrats on all the progress. You've been really, really busy!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Wow, you are keeping busy for sure; those are all fantastic and isn't it the best feeling when you find the perfect backing for a quilt? And what a beautiful sight to see so many quilts donated. Thank you for all you are doing!

southernhushpuppy said...

Oh those backings look perfect and the red backing for the quilt I made is so stunning! Thank you so much for finishing these tops and delivering them.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

They all look so great!!
I really like that backing on the first one - cool fabrics!

Vicki W said...

You really do make each quilt special. I'm a total sucker for a postage stamp quilt and I really love this one.

01 09 10