Friday, June 23, 2023

Color Stix Quilt Finish #1

 Time to share the first quilt for the newest Compassion Quilt block drive.

A big thanks to both Nann and Elana who help start fill the pipeline by making and sending blocks early so I could get started putting quilt tops together right away. 

Nann sent both blocks and backings and Elana sent blocks and some orphan blocks she had kicking around her sewing room.


 

One of the orphan blocks she sent me was this bright-colored 16" house block - I was instantly inspired and framed it with a dark blue and bright colored batik I was gifted.

 

 
Then, from Nann's and Elana's blocks, I chose a bunch in the colors that matched the house.  I really love how this first Color Stix quilt turned out.


 
On the back, I used some roses and some wallpaper inspired striped fabric.  I am not sure who gifted me this backing fabric (it might have been Nann) but I sure like it on this quilt.  It gives a nice calming effect to the vibrant colors on the front.

Once I had the idea to use an orphan block as inspiration for a quilt, I dug through my over-flowing box for a few more.  You might just see a few of them in some future quilts!

The Color Stix blocks are arriving regularly and I have been busy putting together some quilt tops.  I am finding that each one is very unique.  I look forward to sharing another with you soon!
 
 
 



11 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That's one super finish! The house block looks like it was made for exactly this project!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats a great one!! you are off to an amazing start!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love that the orphan block inspired the color / block use for the quilt top. The dark binding really frames this one in nicely, too.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Wow oh wow! What a wonderful surprise!! you really made me smile today! I love that you used the big house block. I just knew you would be the one to find a purpose for it!! However, i never expected this colorful finish!! i love it. The colors are so great together. Eventually I’m going to find other orphan blocks and pass them along to you. Well done Cynthia and i can’t wait to see all the other arrangements you come up with!!! Great job as always!!! I hope you’re having fun amidst all the work! xoxo

Vicki W said...

Throwing in some orphan blocks with the sticks blocks is a great idea.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love this!! So colorful and surrounded by a big, big house!!!

Rebecca Grace said...

This is beautiful, Cynthia, and I agree with those who commented that the project looks very intentional. It reminds me of a farmhouse surrounded by acres and acres of gardens and fields!

Kim said...

Color and creativity. What a marvelous combination! So beautiful!

JanineMarie said...

Such a happy quilt!

Mary said...

Cynthia, this is awesome! Would you consider offering a pattern for this quilt, or give permission for others to use this design? My quilt group just got a request for quilts for foster children and this would be a perfect one for that.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up the 1st Color Stix quilt, Cynthia! I'm still searching my stash for any strip of solid big enough to use. A unicorn in my studio, I can assure you!

01 09 10