Thursday, June 1, 2023

Compassion Quilt Color Stix Block Drive

 Just moments ago, I realized it was June 1st and I had not announced the block for the next Compassion Quilt Block Drive. Yikes!! In my defense, I have been a bit busy lately!

The next block we are using is one of my Scrap-A-Palooza designs.  I am calling it a Color Stix Block.

It is a very simple block.



To make this block, you will need:

QTY = 3        1.5" x 9.5" Solid strip
QTY = 3        2.5" x 9.5" Print strip

Sew a solid strip to a print strip (this is a great project to chain piece).  Then sew the three "Stix" together to make the block.  I find that pairing up the fabric strips first help to keep the seams a bit straighter.

The unfinished block should be 9.5" square

Note: I cut all my strips 10" or 10.5" and then squared up my block to 9.5" square.

We are making monochromatic blocks.  So whatever solid you use (yes, you need to use a solid), the prints need to be the same color.  You can make your blocks whatever color you want (except black).



The main objective of this block drive is to help me use up some of these donated backing fabrics I have.  What I envision is I should be able to grab a backing and then pick the right color blocks to go with it. As you can see, I have lots of blue, green and browns.  I also have a lot of other backings available so just use what you have - I will find a back for them!



You can make the prints all the same in your blocks like the ones above.



Or you can use three different prints (but always the same solid please) to make your blocks.

A big shout-out to Elana and Nann who got an early heads up and already sent me tons of blocks to get me started.  Nann also donated more backings for this block drive which is a huge help!



Here is a quilt I did years ago using this block.  Our quilts will look darker and richer because we will not be using light prints.  


If you have any questions or need my address to send out your blocks, feel free to email me at cynthiabdesigns at gmail dot com.  Try not to put questions/requests in the comments unless you know for sure I can reply to them.

I really do appreciate any blocks you can send.  If you can't help out this time, I certainly understand and maybe there will be more opportunities in the future.

If you are curious, these quilts will be supporting multiple programs at Sacred Heart Hospital here in Oregon.  They are called Compassion Quilts and you can read more about the program here.

Thanks so much!


Follow Me on Bloglovin'                 Follow Me on Feedly


*If you would like to help financially with this endeavor, I have started a GoFundMe account for this block drive.  My goal is to complete 20 quilts!*


12 comments:

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Great job!! I love seeing the quilt finish that you show. Simple is often the best design!! These are sure to keep you busy for quilt awhile. Thanks for the shout out and keep us posted on how it's going.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I think the use of the solid will really be lovely and these are going to be fun riots of color to see come together!

Nann said...

Happy to contribute -- and I look forward to seeing the combinations you come up with!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

The next blocks are going to make into gorgeous quilts. What an interesting combination with plenty of options! Way to go, Cynthia!

Anonymous said...

Your make-it-do approach with this project is something I can use as inspiration to use up more fabric. Thanks.

tbear said...

Such a great block idea to use up the many scraps I have .. I hope to participate &
Make one in every color :)
Looks like fun!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are great blocks! You've got me checking my solids drawer already, so I can get started working on some!

Susan said...

I've been organizing fbric, so I'm sure I'll donate some blocks!

Holky said...

Sorry to be dense but, one paragraph at top says the prints need to be the same color, assuming as each other or the solid. Then at the bottom it contradicts that and says use whatever print you want but solid must be the same?

Rita said...

Holky…I believe she is saying …if you use a solid BLUE …make sure your other prints are in the blue “family” ….
A solid GREEN ….only use prints in the green “family”

The Joyful Quilter said...

Yikes! It's halfway through the month and I'm only just now seeing this post. I went searching for it when I read that you finished up the last of the Patriotic Block Drive quilts. Thanks for an easy block, Cynthia! Solids required? That's a tall order for this quilter, but I'll see what I can come up with!

Delighted Hands said...

I saw the link on Joy's blog (the joyful quilter) and I would be glad to help by sending you some blocks! Beautiful quilt idea for these charity quilts!

01 09 10