Friday, January 19, 2024

The First Log Cabin Quilt

 A new Compassion Quilt block drive is now up and running!

With the holidays, blocks have been a bit slow to come in but I am finally able to start finishing up some quilts.



Here it is...Log Cabin Quilt #1.

All I had to do was quilt this one.  Cheryl actually sent in the top all finished.  I love her layout choice.  It is hard to see but a lot of the print have a beach or water theme.



When I was looking for a backing fabric.  I thought this big strip was kind of fun.  It reminded me of sun awnings, so I felt like it matched the beach theme.

It is really a lovely piece of fabric.  I think it had a lot of linen in it.  
My neighbor Deana found it for me.

This quilt measures about 50 x 71".



The 2nd log cabin quilt is also completed.  I received a bunch of blue blocks and decided to lay them out in a barn raising pattern.



I used a blue print with a civil war era feel to it.  It was a backing Karen sent.  I wanted to use some of this fabric as a border for a quilt I am sewing up right now.  Now the backing leftovers can dictate how wide my borders can be.  I love to use every last bit!

This quilt measures 66" square.

We are off to a great start!  We already have two Log Cabin quilts completed.  How many do you think we will end up with?!


If you want to donate some blocks, you can find the information on making them here.





8 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those log cabins are amazing! The backing of the first one reminded me of a beach blanket. Those are two spectacular layouts. I am a sucker for a barn raising layout . . .EVERY time!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I LOVE both of those quilts but then blue is my thing. They'll be well loved!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The log cabin blocks look great together; the soft curves they create due to the size difference in the logs is really attractive!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Oh those are gorgeous finishes!! I adore all things log cabin and can tell these will all impress us! I can't get over how unified it all looks, despite the scrappiness of the strips. No wonder you chose this block! I have several waiting to send and now wants to get going on some more!! Well done Cynthia!!

Helenchaffin said...

Beautiful job on both of them! Looks like you may need another spend a night sewing party!😄

Kate said...

You are off to a good start with the log cabin quilts. Looking forward to seeing what other combos come together.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up the first two Log Cabin quilts, Cynthia!

Kat said...

I LOVE this block! I'm going to have to steal it sometime in the future

01 09 10