Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Compassion Quilt Offset Log Cabin Block Drive

 It is hard to believe it is time to announce the next Compassion Quilt block drive.  I am not even close to getting all the Hapy Blocks from the last drive into quilts.

So, I thought I would choose a more involved block this time around to give me time to get caught up.  One of the traditional blocks I love to make with my scraps is a log cabin.  I thought an offset log cabin might be fun to play with.  These blocks will make some great quilts for adults.



Here is my example of the block we will be doing.  It will create some fun curves when it is laid out with other blocks. And it is all done with 1.5" wide white based strips and 2.5" wide dark strips.

From Dark Prints, cut:

• 2½” x 10½” J rectangles
• 2½” x 8½” I rectangles
• 2½” x 7½” F rectangles
• 2½” x 5½” E rectangles
• 2½” x 4½” B rectangles
• 2½” A squares


From Light Prints, cut:

• 2½” A squares

• 1½” x 11½” L rectangles
• 1½” x 10½” K rectangles
• 1½” x 8½” H rectangles
• 1½” x 7½” G rectangles
• 1½” x 5½” D rectangles
• 1½” x 4½” C rectangles

***It will make assembling the block really easy if you label your lengths A-J***



Here is a diagram of where each piece falls in the block.  First you sew the light and dark A pieces together.  Then you just attach the pieces alphabetically in a counter-clockwise direction.



This diagram shows you placement of the light and dark pieces.

The completed block should measure 11.5" square.



Colors:

Dark Prints - Blue, Green, Purple

Light Prints - please use white based prints.


*You can get as scrappy as you want with these blocks - but please keep to the green, blue, purple color scheme and try not to introduce other colors.

*You can also make your blocks from just two fabrics if that is what you have.  All of the white-based strips can be the same and all of the dark based fabrics can be the same.

*If you don't have a big stash of scraps, you can use multiple colors for the dark side of the block - as long as you stick with blue, green, purple prints.



Updated:  Here are a few more samples of some blocks sent in by Karen.  They are pinned to my white design wall so the white fabrics blend in.


If you have my Spin! quilt pattern, these are the same blocks that are used in that quilt.  You will also find the block instructions in that pattern.  We are making the Dark Blocks for this quilt drive.


This block drive will run until the end of February.  I know everyone will be busy over the holidays but if you could get your blocks sent out by the middle of February, that would give me a bit of time to get them sewn before the next block drive.


If you have any questions, just email me at cynthiabdesigns at gmail dot com.  Try not to put questions/requests in the comments unless you know for sure I can reply to them.


A big thanks to all.  I will be trying to finish up the Happy block drive as you elves start sewing these Log Cabin Blocks.  We shattered all previous records and it is going to take me a bit to get all those kid quilts sewn.  Once I get them almost done and a final tally on all the blocks received, I will write up a summary post.  You are not going to believe the numbers!


If you are curious, these quilts will be supporting multiple programs at Sacred Heart Hospital here in Oregon.  They are called Compassion Quilts and you can read more about the program here.


Again...Thanks for any help you can give.



8 comments:

Kate said...

Good luck getting caught up on the Happy Block quilts. The log cabin will definitely make some fun quilts for adults.

LindaMB said...

Another example or two would be great. I'm confused by the term "white based". In the picture of the sample block, the light fabrics look beige. Thanks.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those are going to be interesting blocks! They are also a great way to use a variety of scraps!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I am interested to hear how many blocks you received for the Happy Block Drive. I really love log cabin blocks, and an offset variation is really fun to play with layouts. I thin you are right, with this being a more involved block I suspect you'll have some extra time with the Happy Blocks.

Auntie Em said...

I've always wanted to try an uneven Log Cabin, and I have a drawerful of strip scraps to work from. Sounds like I have a new project!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

I've been given more promotions at work and while that's great, it's left me little time to sew. I love log cabins and that means I must start on these blocks right away!! I can't wait!! Thanks for all you do and this one is getting me psyched!

Carolyn said...

It is a busy time of year, but I will try to get some blocks done ASAP and get them sent out to you!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm not a huge fan of making Log Cabin blocks, but I'm excited to try your off-center version!

01 09 10