Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Block Drive - Jewel Box Blocks

It is time to announce the next block drive.  I have always called these blocks Buckeye Beauty blocks but Nann called them Jewel Box blocks.  I like that better!


Here is the block we will be making.  The blocks measure 8.5" unfinished.  They are comprised of two 4 patches and two HSTs.  They are lots of fun to make.

The colors we will be using are black or black/white prints for the chain (predominately black please).

The background should be white, white on white, or a very low volume print with a white base.

The HSTs can be blue, green or purple.  We will be using some of these blocks to make some quilts for teens so bright colors are great!



For each block you will need:

5" white square     QTY = 1
5" blue, green or purple square     QTY = 1

***These will make both HSTs used in the block***

2.5" x 5.5" White strip     QTY = 2
2.5" x 5.5" Blk/Wht strip     QTY = 2

***These will make the two 4 patches***



Let's make the HSTs first.  You can use whatever method you like but this is the one I use.  

Draw a line on the back of the white fabric diagonally from corner to corner.  
Line up the squares right sides together.
Sew a line 1/4" on each side of the line.



You will then cut along the line between your stitching.  You will end up with two triangles like above.

Now you will want to press open your triangles.  I press toward the dark fabrics.



Your HSTs will be a tiny bit over-sized so you need to trim down to 4.5" square.

You will end up with two HSTs needed for the block.



Making the 4 patches are easy two.  You just need to sew the two strips together, press toward the dark side and then cut them up into 2.5" x 4.5" pieces like above.

Now just flip them around to make two 9 patches.
(Sorry, I thought I took more photos of the process.)

NOTE:  I use scraps so I don't always have long strips.  You can make your 4 patches from strips that are just over 10".  You can also make your patches from 2.5" squares.



Put the components into the above configuration and then sew up the block.



 Here are some blocks I put together.

If you are pulling components from some of your parts stash, please make the block all one color - either blue, green or purple.  Please don't mix the colors within the block.

This block drive will end around mid-November.

***********************************

 These quilts will all be donated to Many Hands and Many Hearts Many Hands and Many Hearts where they will go out as compassion quilts in Oregon.
If you have any questions or need my address to send out your blocks, feel free to email me at cynthiabdesigns at gmail dot com.  Try not to put questions in the comments unless you know for sure I can reply to them.  Thanks!


If you still have some of the Two Step blocks to send from the last block drive, please get them sent to me soon.  I want to get them all made up into kits soon so they can be sewn into quilt tops.  
Thanks so much!





6 comments:

Kate said...

A very fun block scrappy block. I have lots of blue, green, purple scraps. I'll find some time to make a few of these.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those blocks! I don't use a lot of black, but I know I have some. Off to dig in the scraps!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That's a cool block! It looks great in a grouping!

Kristi said...

This is one of my favorite blocks! I see butterflies in it or even Star Wars t.i.e. fighters. 😃 Looking forward to making some for you!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

I have made several and they are fun, cheerful and easy. I love learning something new and this is a first for me. I do love the various designs in arranging them. I can tell you will have lots of fun using these blocks together in quilts.

Mary R. said...

Since the RSC color for September is black this block fits in perfectly!

01 09 10