Sunday, August 25, 2024

Oh Scrap! : A Quick Flimsy

Sometimes the smallest things send me off into a whole new scrap project.

I have been planning in my head that my next scrap quilt will be based on a 9-patch.  I was hoping to start it this week.



When Marci sent me the scrap slabs that I used to make last sunday's quilt top, she also included a bunch of pieced strips that someone had sent her.

I knew right away how I was going to use these!



Making all these Autumn quilts for the current block drive, I have a bunch of leftover fabric chunks I need to figure out how to use.  These strips were 12.5" long so I dug through my big scraps and cut some big 12.5" squares for blocks and some 2.5" squares for cornerstones.

Easy peasy quilt top!
And it looks like I got all fancy with the piecing.  I love it!

Now maybe this week I can get back to the scrappy 9 patch quilt in my head....


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


  Follow Me on Bloglovin'                 Follow Me on Feedly

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Good use of the pieced borders, happy stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those strips and squares have a real fall feel to them - so pretty! It's funny how we get to this point in the year, and are so ready to move on to those colors. I'm there, too. These are going to make a pretty quilt! Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

This is genius! I love seeing how you use up the bits and pieces that come your way. Nice quilt!

Rebecca Grace said...

Brilliant to use those "scrap slabs" as sashing! I feel like, if you were let loose in MY fabric stash, all of the scraps and odd bits of yardage would just evaporate and magically turn into a pile of finished quilts, like Rumplestiltskin turning straw into gold!

Jayne Honnold said...

Oh my, I am exactly the same way! I make a perfectly wonderful list of goals, yet my head can be turned on a dime with the smallest bit of interesting scrap. I am so glad I'm not alone in this!

MissPat said...

Great use of those donated slabs. I don't think it would have occurred to me to use them for sashing.
Pat

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love what you did with the donated slabs! That is a great finished top!

Bonnie said...

As the saying goes -- make lemonade when you've got lemons. Or restated for quilters -- make a quilt when you are gifted blocks (or strips in this case.) Excellent finish. Doesn't it feel good to get something finished soon after it joins your stash?

Marci said...

I knew you would come up with a great way to use those strips!

Kate said...

You are so good at using up those odds and ends. No would ever guess that the quilt wasn't planned from the beginning.

Anonymous said...

What a great quilt from a bunch of scraps! Total success. I especially enjoy the cornerstones that look like mini blocks on their own. Someone is going to absolutely love that quilt. Deb E

01 09 10