Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #16 Part Three




With my 24 scrappy offset log cabin blocks all finished, it was time to play with some layouts this week and choose a favorite.










First up was a traditional barn raising layout. The curved appearance to the blocks make such a visual difference than the more traditional block.



Chevrons are popular - how fun is this!



Any time I make these blocks, circles and half circles always make an appearance.



Once I started playing around, I decided I needed some background spacers so I made a few blocks in all low volume prints.  When I do this, I like to use the same scrappy block layout rather than just put in a square of fabric.




Here is the layout I ended up with.  I love those big circles of color!
I also found because my yellow, pinks and chartreuse blocks blended in with the background a bit,  when I created other patterns, they were distracting.  While I wish the colors were a bit stronger, in this layout, I don't mind them so much.




One of my reasons for making this quilt was I wanted to play around with a scrappy low volume background.  As I was cutting my strips, I fought the urge to use fabrics with very little prints on them.  I am really happy with how this turned out and will definitely be more adventurous in the future.




 Now I need to make a final decision on a backing fabric.  Two fabrics from the stash will work.  The dramatic one on the left is a recent purchase - a black fabric with bright polka dots.  The one on the right would be a softer choice.  Speak up if you have a favorite!




 And did you see Linda at The Road to Oklahoma made a block in these pretty teal colors.  I can't tell you how happy I always am when I see someone sewing along.  Once she made one, she says she is ready to make more!




Here is an example of what can happen when you start playing around with these blocks.  Here is my Strawberries + Cream quilt that was published a while back in Quilty magazine.

Scraps are perfect to just play with!!


Linking Up:





30 comments:

gayle said...

What fun blocks to play with! I love all your layouts - it must have been really hard to choose just one.

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Beautiful colors. After sewing with the scraps, I am sure your supply was not diminished at all.....mine never is!! I like the lighter color for the back which is surprising for me because I'm all about bright and loud!! And the Strawberries and Cream quilt just makes me drool.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I vote for the softer backing fabric, but either would work well with your quilt top. I really like the layout of your Strawberries + Cream quilt - the center pinwheel that you formed is really fun!

Nicole said...

The softer of the two backing choices! Love the giant polka dot layout.

Ruth said...

Beautiful result - thanks for showing the different layouts. Strawberries and Cream is gorgeous!

Linda said...

Oh gosh, thank you! What a compliment - that just made my day. :)
Well I have one more block to make before I'm ready to post 4 blocks in the Oh Scrap linky party, but now that I've seen the results of your blocks, I'm more than ready to go! Love, love, love the circles of color. Now that I see them laid out I see the advantage of placing the darker colors on the outside of the color print side, if that makes sense. So fun!

Terri said...

Love the settings shots. Very pretty. The strawberries and cream is my kind of quilt... RED. Love it, too. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Hugs

Gina said...

I love log cabin quilts and yours is gorgeous. It's a great layout

Beth said...

Love this! The circles are a favorite as well.

Sylvia Anderson said...

Cynthia, I love all these layouts, but the Strawberries and Cream is my favorite. What a gorgeous quilt. Do you have a pattern for it? I would love to make it just as it is, and maybe one in greens, another in shades of turquoise and teals, etc.. It is so striking, and thanks so much for sharing. lv2bquilting2@comcast.net

Sylvia Anderson said...

Hi Cynthia, it's me again. I'm wondering if you could tell me which issue of Quilty your quilt was in. I just found out the magazine is closing and there will be no more issues, so I'd like to see if I could
track down a copy of that particular issue. Thanks lv2bquilting2@comcast.net

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

When you got to the layout that created the circles, I thought "that's the one!" So glad you chose that one,too! This is a great block and makes a fun quilt!

PaulaB quilts said...

You chose the best layout; I think it somehow balances and allows all the colors to have a place in the design. I too would choose the soft color backing because it still has the circles, but does not compete with the front. Fantastic Strawberries and Cream!

Lois said...

I think the light one to go with your low vols:)) thanks for showing all the different layouts - I think I'll have to make one of these:)

Barb Neiwert said...

Pretty log cabins! My choice would be the softer fabric for the backing. Have fun finishing it!

SewPsyched! said...

holy moley!! Can I tell you how much I love these offset log cabins??! And that low volume background is just deelish!
And ok, you know I squealed out loud at your strawberry quilt!! Wowsa!]XX!

Vicki in MN said...

Oh I love the circles with the log cabin blocks! I never thought of that possibility before :-)

Stitchin At Home said...

I love the circle layout. my choice is the softer fabric for the backing.

craftsbyjacqui said...

I just love the different ways that you showed that could be done. It has inspired me.

Bonnie said...

What a great experiment using the low volume background fabrics. Adding the extra blocks really make the circles stand out ... I particularly like how they fade out in each row... it all works together. I think I would use the lighter fabric because I'd want to use the polka dots somewhere else! This block makes me want to start sewing some uneven log cabins. Hum, wait, I have a set of wonky log cabins I haven't had time to put together... rats. I'm not starting anything new right now! Sigh... I really want to...

Jasmine said...

Totally love the pieced circles and how you off set them.

Sewmotion said...

Those low volume prints work so well, and I love the circles made by that layout. Your Strawberries and Cream is gorgeous! Beautiful work.

sophie said...

I like both backing fabrics and would likely make a choice based on the thread color(s) I planned to use when quilting the quilt and whether or not I wanted it to show a little or a lot on the back.

Susan said...

Oh my gosh! Such beautiful layouts! Very inspiring

Jeni Overbey said...

My five year old and I both like the right backing fabric.

JanineMarie said...

Amazing how the curve in the block makes those settings so lively. I like the softer colored backing just because I think it fits well with the low volume going on on the front. But whatever you choose will be wonderful, I'm sure.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

one day I am going to be as awesome as you are at planning my scrap use. beautiful!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Wendy said...

I love these blocks! I would have chosen the same final layout as you did, it looks great with circles. Are these log cabin blocks with 2 sides using wide strips and 2 sides using narrow strips?

Vera said...

You never disappoint with your scrappy quilts. They all look great as you play with color well.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

all of those layouts are great! You sure have been stitching up a storm!

01 09 10