Sunday, December 11, 2016

Oh Scrap! : RSC17

With 2017 just a few weeks away, I need to settle on the final blocks I am going to make for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge with Angela over at SoScrappy.




I already announced I plan on making a bunch of string blocks over the next year.  My plan is to use them in all sorts of color combinations and finish up a number of quilts throughout the year.  I am hoping this will burn through a bunch of the stringy scraps that fill all of my color bins.




My second blocks has been a more challenging decision for me.  Every year I fall hopelessly in love with blocks made by so many other quilters.  A part of me wants to make them all!  But my sensible side says I should pick something easy.  My sensible side is going to win.

I have decided to just pull scraps from my precut 2.5" squares and make a bunch of 9 patch blocks each month.  I will use each monthly color paired with a black/white fabric.  I am not sure how these will get used in the end but they are so versatile, the options are endless.  I have a whole year to make a final decision!

I am already looking forward to January's color announcement!


*************************************

Time to share what you are making with your scraps.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
Quilting is more fun than Housework

So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!





12 comments:

Jo said...

I don't think I got any blocks done this year for the RSC16. I hope I can get back into it next year. Next year sounds so far away but it is so close.

Sue said...

I'm sure scraps have a way of multiplying when we are not looking. I'm sorting, tidying and rearranging The Den of Inequity (craft room) and found them hiding in all sorts of places! I'm looking forward to joining in the scrappy fun with Oh Scrap! in a week or two as a reward for getting the craft room back in control!

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

I haven't even finished up THIS year's RSC ! :) One of them requires a piano key border and the other, an orange peel...I am undecided. I could do a border of smaller peels based on the monthly color; still in debate stage here :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I posted the wrong photo - I meant to post one of the scrappy quilts at my link - your idea for string blocks is a good one - I should put one of my boxes of strings by the sewing machine and a stack of precut paper squares to sew them to and at the end of the year have a stack of blocks to work with - great idea!!

Chantal said...

Your plan for RSC2017 sounds very realistic. I too will make ONE RSC block to use up some old fabric as I did for 2016. I've enjoyed that. I plan on making some "simpler" blocks to fill in the rest of the month. I do have a few quilts on my to-do list that require 9-patch blocks so I'll be making those too. I'm missing the colour of the month announcement. It might sound silly but it is a fun thing to look forward to. ;^)

SandraC said...

I'm not sure yet if I'll take part in the RSC yet, but if I do I think I'll do string blocks also

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I am definitely going to make string blocks, too, because I keep seeing those beautiful string star quilts that are calling to me! What size are you making your string blocks?

Cathy said...

I'm looking forward to another year of RSC too! I've found it a great way to use scraps. I've also found that some of the easiest blocks end up making some of my most favorite quilts.

Vic in NH said...

I love your realistic goals that sound do-able!

em's scrapbag said...

String blocks and nine patches are very versatile blocks. Your options will be endless and beautiful!

Preeti said...

The string blocks are very modern and chic!!! Black and white 9-patch blocks for scrap management is an idea worth copying. Thank you Cynthia, for hosting and inspiring!!!
Hugs,
Preeti.

Kate said...

You've got some fun blocks picked for next year with the added bonus of burning up some scraps in the bins (but if you are like me, the bins seem to fill faster than they empty). I've already got my block picked out for RSC17. Though I still need to finish this year's blocks.

01 09 10