Friday, July 10, 2020

Making Progress

I did have a finish to share with you today but it was pushed out to a later date.  I worked with the Fat Quarter Shop and made another shortcut quilt.  So today you will just have to read about the progress I made on my recent scrap quilt.




I have been pulling a bunch of my brown scraps and cutting them into 4.5" squares.  I also completed a bunch of 4.5" hourglass blocks in black and cream.  My inspiration piece had the hourglass blocks laid out like above.




I think I am going to spread them out and lay them out like this.  I really want to use this quilt as a way to use up some of my rarely used colored scraps....like brown.




And because my brown scraps had so much teal blue in them, I decided to add them to the design.  I have been trying to work through these teal scraps for years.




Here is my inspiration.  This was a rug I saw on TV when I couldn't sleep one night.
Quilt inspiration can be found everywhere!

Have a wonderful weekend!


22 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Love what you are doing as always! Are you going to put the skinny strips between the columns as in the rug?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that rug would be a great inspiration! I like this

Chantal said...

Great progress on your newest project. I love that rug too. ;^)

cityquilter grace said...

wow great interpretation....thanks for ideas for brown fabrics...

Libby in TN said...

Brown and teal is one of my favorite combos.

sue s said...

I love teal and brown together! This will be pretty!

Yvonne said...

That's shaping up really nicely!

AnnieO said...

Brown and teal mix wonderfully —your inspiration rug is a terrific design to jump off from. I just love what magic hourglass blocks add to simple patchwork.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I love it when inspiration strikes out of the blue. Also love how bold the hour glass blocks are when you pull them apart. Vert striking with the browns. Not a color I have much of in my stash.

Ellie said...

Really pretty!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a cool quilt design! LOVE that inspiration piece, as well.

Barb N said...

Your browns are really pretty browns. Great design choice to mix the teal with it. Looking forward to your Fat Quarter Shop piece!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

I like the look of the brown and teal together and the way they surround the black and white blocks. Your inspiration piece was great. I think you will have a hit when it's completed!

Michele said...

Yes inspiration can be found in surprising places. That rug is a perfect example.

Louise said...

I think the hourglass blocks are more interesting spread out like that. Will you add yellow next, like in the rug?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like the spacing between the hourglass blocks, too. Brown and aqua are a pretty combination! Looks like you're having fun playing with this one!

EYSchmitt said...

I love what's happening here and your inspiration is so cool...this will be a smashing quilt!

Kate said...

A great project for those odd colors. Brown and teal make a very nice color combination.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like where this is going!!

Nann said...

Oh, the strong graphics in that rug make it a great quilt design! I recall hearing about the time during a major quilt show where Paula Nadelstern was teaching. The carpet in the convention center was based on one of her quilt designs! And it had been used without her knowledge, let alone her permission. I believe she sued -- and won!

Nann said...

.........Your adaptation is for personal use, not for commercial gain......quilt makers get many design ideas from floors. The Nadelstern incident was an instance of the other way around, and definitely unlicensed use.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh this is working out beautifully, love the teal with the brown.

01 09 10