Friday, April 17, 2015

Quilts are for Giving

As I have shared before, once a month I sew with a great group of ladies and we make a donation quilt.  This month, I gave them a quick lesson on an easy technique for hand sewing circles.  Here is a great tutorial that explains quite well the method I have always used.

Each quilter was asked to bring a 4.5" strip of a tone-on-tone fabric in a rainbow color.  From the end of the strip, we cut a square and made a 3 1/4" finished circle.  This was appliqued onto a white 4.5" square.



By the end of the afternoon, the whole quilt top was assembled and I recently finished up the quilting on it.  A simple serpentine stitch in white worked perfectly!




As I am the quilter sponsoring this month, I will be sending this quilt off to an organization that gives kids in crisis a quilt.  I hope this happy quilt will brighten a hard situation.



 It is amazing what 8 ladies can achieve in a couple of hours.  And everyone's fabrics always works so well together!


 A soft lavender print worked perfectly for the backing.  I even used the scraps for the binding.



In February, the same group learned to do paper piecing using this star pattern from Quiet Play on Craftsy.  I love Kristy's patterns and have purchased a number of them.  This one is one she provides for free.



Once again, the group just brought their bright colored larger scraps and we created this quilt.  This one is being donated to a treatment center here in Eugene.




A fun colorful border tied everything together nicely.  Simple swirl quilting in white worked wonderfully with the stars.


 I really am proud to be a part of this great group.  In just 3 years, we have made and donated over 24 quilts, 2 large runners and about 12 bags, all going to support various local organizations.

Here are a few other posts sharing quilts we have made.

If you have a group of friends who love to sew, forming a group to make donation quilts is so rewarding.  You can share ideas, learn new techniques and find a wonderful home for some of your unwanted stash.  It is a day I look forward to each month!


If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Craftsy, Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar! 
 
Linking up:

29 comments:

Shannon said...

Love, love, love your rainbow quilt!

Shannon said...

Love, love, love your rainbow quilt!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

How awesome to be able to pull together quilts to donate so quickly with a great group of friends. The rainbow quilt looks great and I hope it really cheers up someone in need.

Jasmine said...

What a fun group! I must say that I am partial to the rainbow one. I'm off to check out the link. Someday I want to make a quilt with various appliquéd circles and quilt the whole thing with pebbles.

Lisa J. said...

These are both really beautiful quilts. I really love the first one and I think I will work with one of my groups to make a similar charity quilt, although I must admit I'm coming up with more ideas than time.

Susan said...

Both are lovely quilts!

floribunda said...

fabulous! I must make one of these -- a great use for my rainbow of odds & ends...

Jayne said...

Love the star quilt so much! All your quilts, but the stars are pretty awesome!

Ida said...

This is really really lovely. A wonderful yet simple way to do a quilt. And its lovely that you are donating to a child in crisis. Bravo!

Vicki in MN said...

They are both very very nice!!

raye said...

Both of these quilts came out great i especially like the one with the circles! Nice work Ladies!!
Raye

PaulaB quilts said...

It is so satisfying to give quilts to make hurting folks happy. I am proud to be making my fifth and sixth Project Linus quilts due in May for Monona Quilters. Last year our 50-odd members in two collections gave almost 400 quilts to local charities. So happy that so many groups are doing this like yours. Keep it up!

Cheryl said...

Your rainbow quilt is beautiful! The design is simple and very striking.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your rainbow quilt with the strips and circles! I'm putting that on my list to try! It's great that you have a group to make charity quilts with. I have been trying to donate one a year, and tomorrow night I get to go see one of my Scrap-a-Palooza quilts in a silent auction for the charity I donated it to! I hope it makes some money for a special organization.

Barb Neiwert said...

What a great quilt, Cynthia! It's perfect for a group project or for a scrappy project. Someone will definitely love this one, and I know it was made with great care and love :)

JanineMarie said...

What a fun project to learn something new and make a quilt quickly for donation. That rainbow quilt will make a child very happy!

Julie in GA said...

What a fabulous quilt! So beautiful but quick and easy. Some lucky child will treasure it!

Michele said...

That is really a great idea and I do love the finished quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fantastic Quilt!! I know it will brighten a day!!!

Vera said...

what a pretty quilt! I'm sure it'll make someone happy!

Kathleen said...

Beautiful work.

Sandy Panagos said...

What a great work you are doing making charity quilts with your friends. They are just beautiful.

SewPsyched! said...

Oh my! What spectacular quilts!! hugs to you for sending so much good out into the world! X!

Helen in the UK said...

I LOVE how you are working together to create a donation quilt each month. Love the simplicity, yet wonderful effect of this month's quilt. Congrats to all involved :)

Lara B. said...

Your group is totally awesome Cyndy! What a wonderful thing to be a part of. I love how you went about organizing this quilt. Both sure turned out wonderful!

Sandra Walker said...

Those quilts are fantastic! I love the collaborative effort, and I sure do love that rainbow one!!

Ruth said...

Fantastic - love the rainbow effect and many hands do make quick and gorgeous work!

Unknown said...

Both quilts are so beautiful.
Thanks for linking up at the TGIFF
Love from Amsterdam.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Oh I absolutely LOVE that first quilt especially!! Thanks for sharing it under our rainbow theme this week!

01 09 10