Friday, November 27, 2015

(Black) Friday Finish!

It certainly wasn't careful planning that I would be sharing this scrap vortex quilt on Black Friday but it seems appropriate doesn't it?!




This is my second Scrap Vortex.  My first one was made with lots of smaller scraps and bright colors.  My intent with this recent one was to sew up my black and white scraps.  The color red seemed like a good color to add to them.



I also used a number of strings that were in my scrap bin.  It definitely gives this quilt an altogether different look than my last one



I did stall out on this project for a bit.  I was finding my quilt center was getting a bit chaotic for me so I stopped at a rather small size.  I knew I was going to have to calm it down a bit with a solid black border.  Because I still had a number of scraps, I decided to add some pieced squares into two corners.


Even though I am not a fan of this color combination, I really like the look of this quilt.




And the back is almost as fun as the front.  I thought I would never use these two black, red and white pieces that have been in my stash forever.  I guess they were just waiting for me to sew up the perfect quilt.


A Lovely Year of Finishes




I am pleased to say this finish means I met my A Lovely Year of Finishes November goal with Sew Bittersweet Designs.  I love these linky parties that help to keep me focused on the finishes!




Linking Up:

Crazy Mom Quilts
A Quilted Passion
WIPS be Gone
Sew Bittersweet Designs


28 comments:

Kitty said...

Great finish! I particularly like the borders on this quilt pattern. The black, red, and white do really well together!

Jean said...

I like the quilt and especially how you did the borders. Thank you for sharing.

Lisa J. said...

It's a perfect finish for black Friday, and it looks like you used up lots of scraps in the process. I like the border treatment as well.

KaHolly said...

Congratulations on accomplishing your November goal. It's quite lovely!

Jan Briggs said...

This is a fantastic finish! I love the way you treated the border with the little squares in the corners.

Anne Simonot said...

I am a fan of this colour combo & I love this quilt! The borders are great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your newly completed quilt. While you may not be fond of the color combination... I absolutely LOVE your quilt!!!

Charlotta said...

Beautiful! I still love the first one the best, but I'm amazed at both of them and quite impressed. Those are the kinds of quilts I love the most, but somehow don't get around to making. NOT because I don't have scraps, mostly because I prefer to hand piece, I think. But there's always next year - I can hope. Thanks for sharing.

scraphappy said...

Beautiful finish! The border is such a great addition.

Cathy said...

That is one sharp quilt, Cynthia!! The border and small blocks were a stroke of genius!!!

Zenia Rene said...

I'm glad you kept at it Cynthia. This is a fabulous finish!

Stitchin At Home said...

I love the red, white and black! Great finish.

Jayne said...

I love the color combination in this design. Adding the borders really does help to tame it down. Brilliant idea with the extra squares in the border!

MB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MB said...

Great colours. I love the asymmetrical back.

Sandra Walker said...

It looks great Cynthia! I really like what you did in the borders. My own Scrap Vortex (which is a leader and ender project, so pretty slow going) is looking VERY chaotic...

Margo said...

I love the color combination! Funny how you don't like it and I love it! I try and work with colors I don't like - makes me a little more rounded {otherwise I would have 'blue' everything in my house!] Thanks for sharing!

TheItinerantChemist said...

What a glorious finish! I especially love how the border frames and complements the centre of the quilt. :)

Farm Quilter said...

I love how you did the borders - definitely calmed down the quilt and added so much interest at the same time!!! Perfection!!! Congratulations on achieving your November goal!

Kris said...

Oh love how this turned out!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

I like what you did with the borders. Great idea.

Cheryl said...

Great finish! I really like the colors and how you placed some blocks in the border area.

Mary Marcotte said...

Great finish, Cynthia! The color combination is really pretty. I especially like those stunning borders and that back is perfect.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Great job! Congratulations on a fabulous finish. And how wonderful to finish it on Black Friday.

Jasmine said...

I absolutely love this quilt!!! It makes me want to stop everything and make one just like it. The black border helps a lot and I will have to keep it in mind.

Anonymous said...

'kay, love your border, love your colors, great vortex! Congratulations on finishing your goal.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Very appropriate finish!!! Great job!

Jo Ferguson said...

A wonderful finish.

01 09 10