Monday, November 2, 2015

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt # 18 Part Four



One of the things I love about scraps is they really lend themselves to playing with color.  And the current Scrap-A-Palooza is definitely an exercise in color!




 The last time I shared my progress, I had just finished the center nine blocks.  The thinner chain blocks all fade from dark blue to a medium blue and the fatter teal blocks in the corners all have the darkest shade to the outside.




I decided I needed 4 more chain blocks - but for colors, I faded these from a medium blue to a dark plummy purple.




 The first was a straight forward chain block but I changed up the sizes of the squares - largest to the outside and getting smaller at the center..



For the second block, I went with bigger squares and strategically placed some low volume prints to give a stronger illusion of an X.




This one was made from four patches in the corners and a larger center square.



 And finally, I went with a smaller scale for these squares.




The next four blocks I made are a lot more interesting! 
For these blocks, I gave them a bit more sparkle by ending with a brighter purple.



 The first block was a combination of shapes.




In this one, I just played around with smaller squares.  It is by far the scrappiest block. 



I wanted to add in some interest with this block - visually very different than the rest.




And another block using triangles - just because I liked the first one so much!




 This is how it looks on my design wall right now.  I have really enjoyed making each block and seeing it grow.  All of the fabrics were in my scrap bins - some blocks coming together easily and some really requiring some digging.

 Next, I think I will tackle the four center sides.  I have loads of purple scraps that I think will work nicely.  It is my favorite color so I look forward to playing with them!


Linking Up:

Love Laugh Quilt
Patchwork Times
Cooking Up Quilts


20 comments:

gayle said...

This is really fun - watching variations build on variations. Can't wait to see where it takes you next!

cityquilter grace said...

wow very pretty...

Jayne said...

I love where this is going! Beautiful!!

AnnieO said...

Gorgeous! You're very good at coming up with the right dimensions!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing the growth of this quilt. It's been an interesting exercise in mix and match block patterns. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Kat said...

This is coming together so cool! I can't wait to see how it finishes. Love the color wash effect.

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

what a thoughtful quilt. I love seeing the different photos and reading about the way you've put them together. Can't wait for the next installment.

Jasmine said...

I love how this is coming along. The change from green to purple is really neat.

Linda said...

Love the graduating colors! As usual, you are an inspiration. :D

Ivani said...

Your design wall is beautifull with those blocks, sure they will make a gorgeous quilt. Good Job!

PaulaB quilts said...

Watching you work on this is like getting in your mind. It's a real intellectual exercise and so satisfying when the idea becomes reality. The gradations of color and size are so complex and interesting. Love the purple. From the photo I can't tell how bright the center of the lime block is. I could spend hours looking at it. Good going!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is going to be a gorgeous quilt! I love how all the blocks have the chain theme, but every one is unique. The color changes are wonderful too!

http://www.essaymojo.com/ said...

This scrap is very interesting and eye-caching!

Sandra Walker said...

Love this colour combination, and how they are all blending so well. You're the scrap quilt whisperer!! ;-)

Turid said...

This is coming along beautifully. Thank for showing us the progress and how you think about it. That's a great inspiration.

CapitolaQuilter said...

I love how much cohesiveness there is with all of the scrappiness. Really great progress

Jennifer said...

Beautiful colors. Looks like you are having lots of fun with this one.

Jo Ferguson said...

This quilt just gets better and better. I love the direction you're heading with it.

Debbie At The Quilt Journal said...

love the colors and that you are using up your scraps! it's looking lovely, can't wait to see it finished

Vera said...

Looking good! Great idea to combine squares and triangles blocks!

01 09 10