Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #18 Part Three

I have been making slow but steady progress on my Scrap-A-Palooza Sampler quilt.




I had a total of 5 blocks finished when I shared it last.  I have now been focusing on filling the four spaces in the corners.   And because I want to play with color on this project, I search my scraps for some really pretty teals!




This was the first block I finished.  I wanted all four of these blocks to be visually "fat" so they balanced really nicely with the previous "thin" chain blocks I had made.  I also wanted each block to darken in color as it worked out from the center.




To change the size of the center block, I decided on this block next.  I think this block is probably one of my favorites.




I made the third block just by changing the half square triangles in the corners into squares.  It was nice finding a home for some of my batik scraps.




I ended up making three more blocks until I arrived at this churn dash variation.  By the end of the night, I was a bit frazzled - probably why the block is so cockeyed.  Incorrect math, bad fabric choices and poor workmanship plagued my other attempts at this fourth block.  It is still probably my least favorite but my teal scraps were coming scarce and I was getting tired!






 Here is what they look like all together.  I really liked it so I decided to just go ahead and sew it together into one piece.  With all the corner pieces all different sizes, I knew I was going to have to add some sashing.  I decided on a thin 1" wide strip with chartreuse solid corner stones.




 Now that is is all sewn together, I can bring it out of my cave-like sewing room and get a better photo.  

Now it is time to start planning the next set of blocks.  I am thinking more chain (like) blocks that fade from blue to purple.....What do you think?



Linking Up:
 





15 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I like your description of the blocks being visually "fat". Seeing it all sewn together, you really met the goal of having a visual distinction between the blocks. The chartreuse solid cornerstones are a really nice touch, too.

Jasmine said...

I really like the similarities in shape and color as you are working out from the center. So neat!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

I think you have hit a home run! This is very visually appealing and isn't it just the most fun to play with scraps, which is also way more fun than doing housework.

Julianne said...

Its Beautiful!!

Lois said...

I think it's a winner Cynthia - I love the patterns crisscrossing. Blues to purple sounds great for your next one. By the way I also like that you're not worried about blocks being the same size - creativity at play😀

Anonymous said...

I love your scrap quilts. You have an eye for colour. Looking forward to see more of your quilts.
Sandra

Jayne said...

I like 'fat' blocks! The top left block is my favorite, love the design! The lighter block in the center surrounded with teal is gorgeous!

Susan said...

This is so pretty! Love your color choices!

Sandy said...

great quilt layout and love the colours!!

Jo Ferguson said...

I adore this quilt. I think the narrow sashing strips were the perfect choice.

scraphappy said...

Love the process you shared in making your blocks. Great use of so many scraps.

Brenda said...

Cynthia, I think your fabric and design choices are brilliant! They play together so beautifully creating such a visual stimulation. I can only imagine that once it is quilted that it will then add a texture stimulation also. Absolute brilliance and beauty! Your next color choices are going to be just as spectacular, I can not wait to see the results. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

Anonymous said...

I love the look of this quilt and Teal is one of my favorite colours! :0) xx

gayle said...

Blue to purple always gets my vote!
I'm really enjoying watching this quilt grow.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like your lay out - very visually pleasing! Love the colors too!

01 09 10