Sunday, February 14, 2016

Oh Scrap! : Rainbow Scrap Challenge Blocks

Happy Valentine's Day!

You are probably expecting a post full of the color red, but the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for February is brown.  (Insert sad face.) Last year, this color showed up at the end of the year in the fall and because I finished up my RSC15 in October, I already have blocks made in this color.











To remind all of you, I am making chain blocks and little piglets for 2016.  Here is what I have finished so far.












Sewing with brown scraps in the spring was a bit tougher.  With all the rain we have been getting, we are knee deep in mud around here.  Thick, squishy, dark brown mud. 
I hope March is a bright happy color!



 I did dig through my (many) brown scraps and made the 12 Patience blocks for my RSC sampler.  I bet some of these scraps have been hiding away in the bin for over a decade!


****************** 

Now it is time to link up and share what scrappy projects you have worked on this week.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
Quilting is more fun than Housework

So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!








Linking Up:

Love Laugh Quilt (Monday Making)
Patchwork Times (Design Wall Monday)
Cooking Up Quilts (Main Crush Mondays)
Em's ScrapBag (Moving it Forward)
So Scrappy for RSC16





22 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are both great projects. It feels good to finally use up some of the old fabric, doesn't it?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am always working with my scraps - piecing or applique gotta use those scraps up

Libby in TN said...

I hadn't thought about it, but you may have hit on the reason I'm dragging my feet on the February blocks. You're patience blocks look nice.

Turid said...

I was so inspired by all the little piglet blocks, that I had to make one myself. Now I'll try to make one in every colour of the month. Brown is not my colour, but I found some small scraps.

Vicki in MN said...

I chose not to do any blocks for this month because of that reason, brown just felt too drab right now!! If it were fall then I'd be OK with that. However, your blocks are looking down right cute, had me rethinking it for a minute!! I like the easy peasy block.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

You sure conquered the brown monster with those Patience blocks! They're lovely. Must have been hard to do it though...it's so brown here too!

PaulaB quilts said...

The piggies look right at home with the scrappy squares. They stand out nicely. I hope all your other projects are coming along and not overwhelming you in this year for yourself. Try not to forget it and relax.

Nann said...

LOL! I googled "Oh Scrap" to get to this blog post -- what came up were links to Ohio Scrap Metal!

Scrapatches said...

I love your little piglet blocks and followed the link back to your block tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

Going to link up now ... Thanks for hosting ... :) Pat

Mary Marcotte said...

I'm working on a scrap project but don't have a post, yet. I'll check back when I've gotten to that and add a link. In the meantime it's fun seeing what everyone else is doing to bust up some scraps!

Cathy said...

I love your blocks! Brown was a hard one for me too. Just not much in my stash in brown so the scraps were hard to come by.

Linda said...

Love the way the piglets are looking with your chain blocks!

Cathy said...

Nice that you let those browns see the light of day!

Kate said...

Hope you made a good sized dent in your brown scraps. The blocks will look great paired with the bright colors to come.

Jennie in GA said...

Nice blocks. The piglets make me smile!

Lara B. said...

The little piggies are so humorous and make me smile Cyndy! Just keep reminding yourself that brown is the color of chocolate too. LOL

Alison V. said...

I like your brown blocks! I am doing RSC this year too and definitely worked in a LOT of pink this month. :)

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Yep, brown would be a tough color to work with during this drab time of year. Hopefully March will see brighter, happier colors! :)

Bonnie said...

I don't have too much in brown... and so far, I haven't done any of the SOS colors. Maybe one of these days things will calm down enough for me to do some of them to go with what I started last year. Time will tell.

Peggyinno said...

Love those piggies! Great projects!

Ellen said...

It just feels so darn good to use up my old scraps and turn them into something wonderful. Your blocks do look good!

Jennie in GA said...

Great job of moving forward on your Browns!!

01 09 10