Sunday, January 7, 2024

Oh Scrap! : Something New

 I have been trying to come up with a simple scrap block that I could sew up on a continuous basis and use in lots of ways.  I have been thinking about this for months!

I also wanted something that didn't require a bunch of cutting. 


 

This week I decided that I would just make some of these 4.5" x 8.5" strips of scraps.  I can use any size width of fabric, I can make them any color and I can just stack them up until an inspiration fabric shows itself.

The next step will be to put 2.5" strips along the sides of these blocks.  Maybe I find a fun autumn print - I can pull some green, brown, rust, purple and gold blocks and make a quilt.  Or I can decide to make a monochromatic or a rainbow quilt.

These blocks are really just a variation of my Chaser pattern and have the versatility I was looking for.   I can easily sew these as I am working on other things. 

It will be fun to see what transpires in the future!

*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter






Don't forget Connecting Threads is having a Finishing Sale right now.  Great selection of wide backings and batting all on sale!


9 comments:

Kate said...

Very fun blocks. Great when you need some mindless stitching.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This sounds like a good simple block to use for compassion quilts, happy stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Are you sewing strips together and trimming to 4.5 x 8.5? That is definitely a versatile idea - and gives you the option for multiple color combinations, too. Great idea! Have a wonderful Sunday, Cyndy!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Gosh, those blocks could be paired with a variety of different fabrics! I could easily envision he autumn print and the monochromatic theme!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

This is a cool idea! Simple to sew, uses scraps, and I'm sure will be stunning!

Preeti said...

Saving this idea for future use. They will make simple and fun blocks!

Anonymous said...

I love the way your brain thinks through these block pattern ideas. And the fact that you share your process, and make them available to others. I find such practicality in your ideas. Then, you stretch and enlarge my baby-sized creativity and color sense. I am so thankful for your generosity, and to have found your website. I now have my very first quilt in completed top stage, a Color Stix.
Laura
Tcahaynes@gmail.com

Bonnie said...

I've been negligent in reading blogs. Just saw the new compassion block. Hum, I cut 2.5" strips from lots of scraps. I probably have 1.5" strips in white hanging around or I can always cut more. I'll add some log cabin blocks to my sewing plans for the next several weeks. You sure have a nice depth of purple fabrics.

Mystic Quilter said...

One of the nest ways to use up strips that I have seen for ages, they're glorious!

01 09 10