Sunday, February 18, 2024

Oh Scrap! : Orphan Blocks

In a previous post, you may remember I shared a quilt top that was rescued from an estate sale.  Not only did a number of quilt tops make their way to me but a TON of orphan blocks also were rescued.



This week I spent some time pressing them and sorting them by size.  (A few other orphan blocks made their way into the stack too).  I wanted to be sure I knew what exactly were in the bag that was donated.  I think many of these were actually UFOs but their fabrics and other blocks are long gone.

There are probably about fifty 12.5" blocks that I will eventually make into some sampler quilts.  The rest of the blocks will require a lot more thought because their sizes are all over the place.  I also still have a bunch of my own orphan blocks that need attention.

One of the most amazing finds in the bag were the 9 appliqued Hawaiian blocks that were salvaged.  One or two blocks need a bit more applique, but I can easily do that.  Then I just need to find some nice sashing and sew it up.

As I went through all these blocks, I was inspired by a few.  I have plans for future block drives that some of these may go with and I have a number of donated panels that some of these blocks may complement.  Now that I have the blocks organized, I can lay my hands on them quickly when I am ready for them.

So many quilts....so little time!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

 

8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You are always so creative with orphan blocks! It will be fun to see what you do with those. Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Kate said...

Looks like you've got a fun palette of orphan blocks to play with. Looking forward to seeing where they all find a home.

Chantal said...

I bet you squealed when you saw all those blocks. Your creative juices must have boiled over. I would be sitting in front of that beautiful array of blocks for days and still, I would have difficulty deciding what to do. You got it so quickly and that's where your talent is. Looking forward to seeing those ideas of yours. Enjoy! ;^)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What fun sounding applique blocks! I "inherited" some house blocks from my friend Martha's sewing stash. The "Wander's Wife" pattern inspired me to get the blocks into a top. I haven't quilted it yet. (https://terryknott.blogspot.com/2023/09/progress-on-house-blocks.html) .Since there are a lot of strips in the quilt, it won't be too difficult to wrangle on my domestic. You inspire me all week long with your ingenuity regarding scraps!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, those Hawaiian blocks!!!

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I have not thought before about leaving instructions for unfinished projects. It's wonderful that you are making them into quilts for charity rather than having them thrown out.

Nann said...

Our guild had a great program by Joan Cain about orphan blocks quilts -- tips for designing, for filler blocks, etc. They take a long time to make but they are so rewarding.

dq said...

I love orphan blocks and have about 4 quilts made from them. I won them at our state guild meeting years ago. Enjoy putting them together. It will be fun.

P.S. My fish and rr blocks were made from scraps.

01 09 10