Sunday, March 3, 2024

Oh Scrap! : Just Add Pansies

Wow!  I actually made a scrappy quilt top this week!

 

Remember these strips of color that I have been making each month?  I finally found an inspiration fabric to make a quilt top out of them.



I was gifted about a yard of some pansy fabric.  I really didn't know what I was going to do with it.  It was small for a backing and it wasn't a great candidate for a binding.  But then I remembered my color strips.  I immediately pulled some pink, purple, green and turquoise and started sewing 2.5" x 8.5" strips to them. (This is essentially my Scrap Mixology Chaser Block)

Now I should share I rarely think about exactly how much fabric I need for a project...
A yard was not enough!


First, I thought this soft gray might work for the last eight blocks I needed.  I made a test block and decided I didn't like it.



Then I remembered this weird green and purple fabric I have had for decades.
I liked it so I finished up all the blocks.




In no time at all, I had finished a quilt top.  I think it works as a scrap quilt.  The pansies are a little unexpected and a nice surprise for someone who likes flowers.

I am just happy to have found a home for some fabrics and some scraps!


I have a second donated pansy piece that is large enough for a backing.  So hopefully I will be able to finish this one up soon. 



*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter



15 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh now, I love your pansy piece!!:000 so Springlike and pretty...
nice work hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a fun scrappy quilt! I love the pansies - I wish I could look at them up close. Great job finding a little more of something else that would work, too. I do the same thing - think there's plenty of some fabric for a project, and then run out a little early. Oops! Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Kate said...

That pansy fabric as the sashing is really the unexpected. The odd green works really well with it. I wouldn't have tried ether, but they work so well. Congrats on following through and comping up with the novel.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a nice scrappy quilt! Great idea to alternate the two side fabrics. I love all the colors in the pansies print.

Cathy said...

Oh, I like how that turned out!

Chantal said...

I wouldn't have reached for a floral fabric with these blocks but, Wow! the result is just beautiful! Well done. I usually don't calculate how much fabric I need for a specific project either. You found a fabric that plays very well with the pansies. It looks like the background of the pansies after the flowers have died and gone, leaving a coloured print. Beautiful! ;^)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You have such an admirable stash of fabrics, Cynthia. Imagine having a pansy, purple piece to play with. Happy playing from me!

Holly snowbird said...

Oh Cynthia, I like your new top. I do have to tell you I have this Pansy fabric if you want more!!!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That weird green fabric complimented the pansy fabric perfectly. It provided a sparkle for those colored strips to shine! Once again, you've pieced a wonderful top out of scraps!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it’s just lovely! The ease and flexibility of your mixology system is helping me redeem so many scraps. Much respect and appreciation! — Laura Haynes

Helenchaffin said...

I luv the pansie strips for the background

Annmarie said...

Love that cheery pansy quilt and love your creativity in putting it together!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Cynthia, you found a great second fabric to go with your pansies. Don't you love it when it works out? Thanks for the party. Take care.

MissPat said...

I have some of that pansy fabric. In fact, I have a whole bin of pansy fabrics. I had intended to make a quilt using many of them, but haven't gotten to it yet (along with roses, irises, tulips and misc other flowers).
Pat

Charlotte in Wyoming said...

Cynthia, you are amazing. Love the quilt. Pansies are one of my favorite flowers.

01 09 10