Wednesday, March 6, 2024

A Whole Lot of Scrappy

My postal carrier sure got a workout this week.  Kat sent me a giant boxed filled with miscellaneous items that weren't appropriate for Covered in Love.  Plus, occasionally, blocks from my block drive accidently go her way.  Ooops! I am sure there will be items I will need to send to her in the future.  We work together a lot!

(BTW - if you haven't heard, Kat has started her block drives up again.)



I also received a box of finished quilts from Sandra in the mail.  Check out this scrappy goodness!

It measures about 48 x 60".



Here is the back of the quilt.  What a great way to make the back as fun as the front.



She also sent this scrappy triangle quilt.  This quilt also measures about 48" x 60".  I have always wanted to try making these scrappy blocks.  Hmmm...maybe it can be a future block drive.



On the back of the quilt is this stripe print.  It was hard to get a good photo.  Sandra also added a scrappy binding that really framed up this quilt beautifully.  I fell in love with her bindings - she does them all by machine and uses a fun decorative stitch when she is stitching down the front.  I have never been very successful with this, so I am a bit jealous of her skill.


I was out of Veteran quilts to send in my March hospital delivery, so I checked my shelf and found quite a few RWB string blocks.  I quickly made a few more blocks and made this quilt.  I used my "hashtag" inner border - you can make the border whatever width you want and there is no quilt math necessary.  I had a bunch of red that was already cut to 2.5" so that is what I went with.



Suzanne sent in this really fun swirly backing.  
And I just used more of the red from the front for the binding.

This quilt measures 54" x 64".



On the shelf, I also saw the leftover blocks from last year's block drive.  I played around with them and figured out how to make another quilt from them.  Some of these blocks came in after the block drive ended.  I sure appreciated them now!



I had purchased some Americana backings from Connecting Threads last year.  It has tiny beige stars on it.  I continued with the star motif and used a blue star print for the binding.

This quilt measures 54" x  66".

I usually send three Veteran quilts in each delivery to the hospital but I don't know if I will get a third quilt done in time.  I will just have to send in four next time.




If you haven't heard yet, we are repeating last year's veteran block drive.  So soon I will have lots of Veteran quilts in stock.  I really enjoyed making quilts from these blocks and I think many of you enjoyed making these blocks.  You can read more about the block drive here.

Thanks so much for all of your support!


6 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What special deliveries this week! I did love that fun back. It is like having two quilts in one! My favorite is the string quilt with the hash tag border. . .you are amazing!

Chantal said...

Lovely quilts parade. It is a fun back; I'll have to remember that one. The "Hashtag String" is also calling my name. I have so many strings; I really have to invest some time in those bins. The Churn Dash leftovers turned into a lovely quilt. I love that one. Awesome work, ladies! ;^)

Kate said...

Lots of fun scrappy quilts this week. Your elves are very talented. Happy stitching this week.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love that you were able to put the left over and late blocks from last year's drive into a quilt already. I need to dig around in my stash and see what I can get made for you. :)

Elana said...

I can't tell but probably some of those late blocks were mine. I'm about to do that again if I don't get a package to you soon!! XOXO I really love this bunch of quilts. I can't imagine how fun it would be to have a block request be scrappy triangles!!! The colors, the fun...you would have a blast pulling those together!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love them all - but you know that Churn dash one just sings to me!!

01 09 10