Friday, April 19, 2024

Log Cabin Block Drive Round Up

I know I told you guys that I would share more Churn Dash quilts today but I finished the last Log Cabin quilt so I thought I would compose the round up stats for you instead.



Quilt number 17 is the final quilt made from the block drive.  Janet and Audrey did a great job coming up with the above layout using up the last of the blocks.  I think there were only two blocks that didn't get used from this drive.  We will find another home for them at a later date.

This final quilt measures 55" x 66".



I used a vibrant turquoise fabric for the backing.  I think this is one of the backs sent in by Karen.  I quilted this with a lime green thread for even more fun.



Want to know how many blocks I received?  There were 489 blocks sent in by 40 quilters.  Not bad for a drive that took place over the busy holidays.  It was also a more involved block, so I didn't receive a massive quantity from any one quilter.  I did receive 3 quilt tops from Churn dash blocks that came to me all sewn up.  I always appreciate when that happens.


A few other worthy things to mention - 
  • I received a roll of batting from the hospital I donate to.  They had it shipped right from Joann's to my doorstep! It was used in quite a few of these log cabin quilts.
  • I also had some wide backing fabric drop shipped from Connecting Threads during one of their sales.  Thanks so much!
  • A big hearted quilter who acquired some fabric form a quilt store and knew I would be making Veteran quilts next sent me three almost full bolts of RWB fabrics. You will probably be seeing some of them soon!
The current block drive is for our Veterans.  The quilts that are made from this block drive will produce about 70% of the Veteran quilts we donate for the year.  My future goal is to hold some local sew days to allow us to donate to more veteran organizations.

Last year, the block drive resulted in 26 completed quilts.


If you want to make some blocks to donate, you can read more about our current block drive here.

I would like to have all the blocks in the mail by the middle of May so there is still time to get some sent off.  I am already turning the blocks I have already received into some nice quilts.  You can see the first one here.  I hope to share many more next week.


 

3 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Wow, that's awesome that you were able to use up all but two blocks from the Log Cabin block drive!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That is a beautiful final finish of the log cabin block drive. How wonderful that the hospital shipped you batting! It's too bad the news can't contain more acts of kindness like the donation of the RWB bolts so we can hear how generous our society is.

Kate said...

Those Log Cabin blocks have made up some gorgeous quilts, this one included.

01 09 10