It is time for us to release another block drive. If you get our newsletter, you may have already seen it. I think it is a fast and fun block to make. We will have lots of uses for this one. Some may be made into kid quilts - others will go to adults. I also think we will try to use these with some of the other blocks we have made in the past. It just depends on what you send and how it inspires me!
Here are the blocks we will be making. They are just a low volume print with a scrappy row of color across it. You can make your strip of color from as many scraps as you want. Most of mine have three.
I started out by making my scrappy strips. Each strip should be a single color. They are 2" x 8.5" long. You can make them by precutting your pieces or just sew some of your scraps together and then trim to size. I chose to cut my scraps 2" wide, sew them and then just cut them to the 8.5" length.
Now you need a low volume for the rest of the block. I prefer a print with a white background, but if you only have cream, I am sure we can make that work. I also don't want any plain white or cream fabric. It needs to have some sort of small print on it. White with black prints are fine to use. I don't think solid blocks will look good for these quilts. They might create a dead looking spot. We don't want that!
You need to cut your low volume into the following:
4.5" x 8.5" Rectangle
3" x 8.5" Rectangle
Then you just need to sew them together. The block should measure 8.5" square. Sorry, my machine's tension is acting up and puckering - I am sure it really needs a clean.
Here are a few more block samples that I made.
If you have a fun name for these blocks, I would love to hear it.
I really love how colorful they are!
- This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
- You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
- If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
- If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
- This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
- Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
Follow Me on Bloglovin' Follow Me on Feedly






6 comments:
i LOVE this block idea, the interaction between the lines and the mix of low contrast is very cool. Thank you for always inspiring us
LeeAnna
That's a neat block! You'll can make some fun quilts out of those. I can definitely make some. Wishing you a relaxing Sunday, Cyndy!
The block brings to mind the envelope we use at the office for a courier shipping. The envelope is called an "Express Envelope". It is an easy and "Fast" block to make too. Just saying. I'm sure this drive will have many successful deliveries too. Enjoy! ;^)
Those blocks will make some fun quilts. It's a nice project for any 2" left over binding strips.
Looks like a fun block drive! These will make great quilts.
That is a fun block to have as a block drive! It is also a good one to use a few little scraps too!
Post a Comment