It has been a long time since I have enjoyed so much time in my sewing room. Not only did I get my Park Bench quilt top done, I also made huge progress on the current Scrap-A-Palooza quilt.
A couple of weeks ago, I shared a tutorial for making the improv blocks used in this quilt. I had a number of odd shaped low volume scraps and red triangle scraps that I used for the blocks. In no time at all, I sewed up a stack of 64 six inch blocks.
I thought today I would share some of the possible layouts for this humble little block.
By taking four blocks and putting all the red triangles in one area, you end up with a fun wonky star. This layout also leaves a lot of negative space to practice free motion quilting.
You can also play around with the direction of the triangles. In this layout, I started in a corner and spiraled in ending with a pinwheel in the center.
Here is a layout with a mid-century feel. Or it can be butterflies....
That is the great thing about improv is it can be interpreted many ways!
Here is one more layout I played with. I am pretty sure I could have easily come up with at least a dozen more.
Now it is time for me to settle on a final layout and finish this quilt up. Hopefully the next time you see this, it will be a finished quilt!
Now it is time to link up and share what scrappy projects you have worked on this week. Here are the details for linking up:
- This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
- You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
- If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
- If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
- This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
- Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps. And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!
Love Laugh Quilt (Monday Making)
Patchwork Times (Design Wall Monday)
Cooking Up Quilts (Main Crush Mondays)
Em's ScrapBag (Moving it Forward)