Sunday, February 7, 2016

Oh Scrap! : Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt # 19 Part Three

It has been a long time since I have enjoyed so much time in my sewing room.  Not only did I get my Park Bench quilt top done, I also made huge progress on the current Scrap-A-Palooza quilt.



A couple of weeks ago, I shared a tutorial for making the improv blocks used in this quilt.  I had a number of odd shaped low volume scraps and red triangle scraps that I used for the blocks.  In no time at all, I sewed up a stack of 64 six inch blocks.

I thought today I would share some of the possible layouts for this humble little block.








By taking four blocks and putting all the red triangles in one area, you end up with a fun wonky star.  This layout also leaves a lot of negative space to practice free motion quilting.







You can also play around with the direction of the triangles.  In this layout, I started in a corner and spiraled in ending with a pinwheel in the center. 
















Here is a layout with a mid-century feel.  Or it can be butterflies....



That is the great thing about improv is it can be interpreted many ways!



Here is one more layout I played with.  I am pretty sure I could have easily come up with at least a dozen more.

Now it is time for me to settle on a final layout and finish this quilt up.  Hopefully the next time you see this, it will be a finished quilt!

******************
Now it is time to link up and share what scrappy projects you have worked on this week.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
Quilting is more fun than Housework

So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!







Linking Up:

Love Laugh Quilt (Monday Making)
Patchwork Times (Design Wall Monday)
Cooking Up Quilts (Main Crush Mondays)
Em's ScrapBag (Moving it Forward)





25 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I kinda like your last layout because it's the least expected. Hope you have a happy scrappy week!

Judy H said...

I love your wonky star layout the best. Unfortunately, I now can't throw away a scrap to save my life!

Jayne said...

The possibilities for this block are endless! I'm just in love with the block and know you will come up with the perfect layout!

Cathy said...

I like the one you call Wonky Star. I like how the neutrals around it convey motion - like a spinning top.

Barb Neiwert said...

Which design did you end up chosing? The mid-century does remind me of the patterns that we had on the old laminate-topped kitchen tables of the 50's/60's. Wow - that's dating me :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is such a versatile block! Who knew there would be so many possibilities? I like the first one best, that makes the stars, but they are all interesting! Fun to play around with, I bet!

Turid said...

Great scrap blocks. My favorite is the first layout, because I love stars.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a FUN quilt you are creating!!!

Kristi said...

I just wanted to pop on to say: I love your scrap-a-palooza posts! Especially the 4 part process. It has totally inspired me to do some 'scrap' quilts of my own! I love following your blog!

Teje said...

Hi Cynthia and thank you again for the party! Your project looks really exciting! Stars looks fantastic but today my favourite is the 3rd option. You picked perfect colours because those low volumes great lovely shadows to the red. x Teje

gayle said...

I'm always a sucker for stars, so I like the first layout. The fact that they look like they're dancing pirouettes seals it for me! 8)

Vic in NH said...

The stars are the least visually confusing to me, so my mind likes those really a lot! The grays in the neutrals make it very modern, too.

Jasmine said...

How fun! I think the butterflies are my favorite, probably because I have a butterfly quilt on my bucket list.

Linda said...

So glad you are enjoying time in your sewing room! Loving the colors and the wonky stars. :)

Nancy said...

Your backgrounds make me think of mine on the scrappy stars I'm doing -- except yours are more grey. Fun little stars you're making!

Jennie in GA said...

Interesting layouts for those improv blocks. Thanks for helping me think outside the box!

Paige said...

Love where this is going!

Lara B. said...

Your improv blocks looks so fun to play with Cyndy! Like building blocks for quilters. Love the low volume scrappiness. I'm so glad you are having such a great time!

Jen @ Faith and Fabric said...

It's pretty amazing how different each of those quilts look depending on how you have the blocks oriented. Looking forward to seeing how you decide to lay them out!

TheItinerantChemist said...

Wow, I was looking forward to these! Loving layouts 1 and 3, can't wait to see what you go with. :)

Vera said...

whoa, those blocks looks so cool! I like all the different layouts.

Michele said...

It will be fun to see which layout you pick.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Wow, I like this block. What strikes me is the different tones of the low volume fabric when looking at all the blocks together. I like the wonky star layout the best, but no matter what you decide to do it will look fantastic! Thanks for sharing on MCM. :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great scrappy project!! I love the pop of color!

beth s said...

What a GREAT quilt project! Fun to see all the possibilities!

01 09 10