Sunday, March 17, 2019

Oh Scrap! : Blocks and Orphan Adoption News

Before I get to the information on the next Quilty Orphan Adoption event, I think I will share the last of the green RSC blocks for March.



I have decided to start a new Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt out of 2.5" squares.  I decided to finish up my Zig Zag quilt this month so I needed another block to work on in the future.  I wanted a design that did not use a lot of background so I decided to simply turn these squares into a colorful color block quilt. It will certainly be scrappy!



And then I made a cute peapod block for my garden quilt.  My plan was to use some springtime green but I didn't have any scrap chunks that were big enough to do what I wanted.  Well, I was not going to cut into any stash so I just made do with what I had.    I think it will be fine in the quilt.

So that is it for my March RSC blocks.  
Now I am ready (and trying to patiently wait) for a new color.


Quilting is more fun than Housework

So let's talk about the Quilty Orphan Adoption event!

This is an event I have been hosting twice a year for 4 years now.  I started it because I had a whole bunch of orphan blocks and unwanted projects that I thought someone else might like.  Twice a year, there have been about 12 projects by all sorts of quilters offered for adoption.

I keep thinking that at some point we will reach a point where we will run out of forgotten or unwanted projects but it is not happening yet!

Below are some details.  And if you want to see some of the previous link ups, you can go here, here and here.

Orphan Adoption Event

March 21st, 2019

I will be hosting a linky party starting Thursday March 21st  (and closing on Saturday March 23rd.) where you are welcome to link up your own blog post sharing a project you wish to abandon or orphan blocks you wish to pass on.  You can offer as little or as much as you want.  It can be blocks, patterns, kits, fabric, anything that you hope someone else will use and you wish to get rid of the burden.

Here are some details:

1.  I am going to ask that any "orphan" linked up must be given away for free.  (If you are wanting to destash for money, there are other venues to do that on.)  I think it is fair that if you need to, you can ask that shipping costs be paid.  Just be sure and put that information clearly in your post.  And know that both parties enter into the deal at their own risk.  I hold no responsibility.

2. Have clear pictures and descriptions on what you are putting up for adoption.

3. Define the criteria for how you will decide who will adopt the item.  Is it a random number giveaway, do you only want it to go to charity, or is there some other criteria that needs to be met?

4.  Be sure and identify where you are located and where you are willing to ship to.

5. Define how long you are keeping the adoption open and when you expect to award the adoption.


I already have TWO items picked out that I will be putting up for adoption on Thursday.  

I know there will be someone who will give them some attention and finish them up.  And I will be so happy to cross them off my list and move on to a more inspiring project!

This spring event is also perfectly timed to pick up a project to finish for Sarah's (at Confessions of a Fabric Addict) Hands2Help Charity Quilt Drive.  I think there are four organizations this year and they cover almost every size of quilt.  If you haven't signed up for this event yet, you can do so here.


So that is all the news I have.  Now it is time for you to share your scrappy projects for the week.
I am looking forward to seeing what you have been up to!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

10 comments:

Jayne said...

Your pea pod is adorable and will fit right in with the other themed blocks! I love when you do the Orphan Adoption event. Not that I have any, but it's always fun to see what others have and then knowing they are being sent to someone who will do what the original owner didn't...use them in a quilt!! Keep it up! You know there will never be an end to unwanted or forgotten projects...right?!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the peapod! Are you designing these blocks yourself? You've come up with so many fun ideas for this quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE your new GREEN blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!! Thanks for the heads up about your Spring Orphan Adoption event. Time to check the project stacks!

Run 'n Stitch said...

Green, the color of the day. Your blocks are perfect. Thank you for hosting the Orphan Adoption Event. It will be fun to see what's available.

Turid said...

Your green blocks are so pretty. I've thought about making such 2,5" squares block, or even 1,5". Think I'll have to wait until my La Passion is finished. I'll try to find some orphan blocks for Thursday.

Denise said...

I love all the green you and everyone is sharing today. I'll have to dig in my tote to see if I have any orphans to share. Most of my blocks I am saving for a misfit quilt. Thank you for the linky party.

Lori said...

Peapods made me think spring--which is NEVER going to get here! The adoption even sounds intriguing.

Cathy said...

Love the addition of the cute pea pod to your garden! I'm looking forward to planting some real ones in a few weeks. And good plan for those 2.5 inch squares.

em's scrapbag said...

I like the scrappy green blocks and your peas in a pod is adorable. It will be a lovely addition to your garden quilt.

Kate said...

Love the peas in a pod block. Your 2.5" square blocks are very scrappy, those are going to make a very fun rainbow scrap quilt.

01 09 10