Sunday, November 10, 2013

My Weekend Accomplishments

When Paula of The Sassy Quilter posted some great photos of how easy it is for all those quilting projects to get a bit out of control in one's home, I took a look around my place and saw a lot of the same scenarios.  Like me, I think Paula likes to start things.  So we got together and made a finishing pact for the weekend!

Our goal was one quilty accomplishment but once I got on a roll, I found I had quite a few projects close to completion and was able to get a number of things on to that "finished" pile. 





First, I finished up these potholders.  I had posted about them here but still had not sewn the binding on the second one.  (sigh!)


This finish was an easy one.  And it checks off a holiday gift as being done!
Yay!!





And as I was all set up for sewing potholders, I decided to finish up these four that have been in varying stages for over a year.


These were made from some old orphan blocks that I didn't want to make into a quilt.  Now hopefully they will find a home!








I also finished sewing up the quilt top from Amy Smart's Double Crossed pattern.  I made the quilt a little larger than the pattern so it finished out at about 60" by 70".

I hope to get it quilted up next week and will share some better photos.  I made my quilt a little scrappier than the pattern (of course) and like the effect of having two colors of diamonds.



I think this will make a great TV watching quilt!!









The big accomplishment for the weekend was piecing and quilting and binding these four scrap quilts.  You can read more about them here and here.









I now have this big stack of 8 quilts all ready to be delivered to a local charity that puts together bags of transitional necessities for children ages 1-17 who find themselves in a time of crisis.  They strive to include a quilt in every bag and they don't often get quilts for the older kids.   With the holidays coming, I know the need will be great.








So thanks Paula for the gentle nudge that cleaned up a whole lot of projects piling up around my home.  If I could have a few more productive weekends like this, I could really whittle down that far too big WIP list.  

I hope the momentum continues!!

http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185


Linking up with Stitch by Stitch for Anything Goes Monday, Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River and Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory.


18 comments:

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

I would say you have been quite busy! Lots o' good stuff to gaze upon! Cross roads is gorgeous! Like your big stack of quilts for charity. Are those the 16 patches that recently have been or your design board? Holy smokes girl did you sleep this weekend? They are wonderful!

Jess@ One English Teacher said...

Wow! That's quite the stack of finishes for the weekend! I definitely chuckled about the first set of potholders. I have a set of placemats in the exact same predicament. I have the unfinished one in my sewing bag to take over to a friend's house tomorrow night; we'll see if it has a much luck as your potholder. Still shaking my head a four quilts finished and ready to go!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

Your quilts and other projects are so wonderful. Love that Double Crossed quilt. It is so wonderful that you donate so many of your quilts to charity. It's so inspiring!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Tami C said...

Wow!!! I'm lucky if I get even one finished over the weekend! Such lovely projects. They are really great!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

I'm totally impressed! That's some serious gettin it done! :) I tried to do the same this weekend, but was distracted by silly video games. You would think at my age video games wouldn't be a problem anymore. Oh well. Might as well do what you love :)

Sewing Mom said...

Wow, you've been busy! Love the pot holders...the quilts and that top is gorgeous...great job.

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

Hopefully we will keep the mojo working! Love the pot holders, but I am afraid no one would be allowed to actually use those:) haha. Next weekend I think I will have a basting party...should be fun!

VickiLorraine said...

Oh wow...love your work and blog. Found you through the gorgeous Sassy Quilter :)

Barb Neiwert said...

Holy Toledo, you've been busy! You're definitely on a roll. Must have been raining, eh? Love your new soon-to-be-TV quilt (and all the others, as well. and the potholders.)

Eileen said...

Wow - you were busy! Thanks for the motivation!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

You have really accomplished a lot of finishes, congrats!! I think I'm like you, I love starting things. Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Anonymous said...

Wow you have gotten a lot done. Such a great thing to donate all of those quilts to charity.

Sara said...

Amazing goals and you did it!! Yippee...the potholder assortment is very,very beautiful.

RobotMomSews said...

Wow! What awesome accomplishments!! I love the colors you chose for the Double Crossed quilt! Beautiful!

Paula said...

All lovely, but I especially like the double crossed quilt top.

Alison V. said...

I love the double crossed quilt top!

Conni said...

who doesnt love a stack of cozy quilts. One can never have too many homemade things in their home, makes it look loved

a maidenhair fern said...

love your finishes. pot holders: it seems like it usually takes the first batch to work out the bugs . ..

01 09 10