Friday, October 13, 2017

Pincushion Party


I love having a basket full of pincushions that I can use as little thank you for fellow quilters.  Knowing I have a couple trunk shows and classes scheduled in the near future, I thought I would have a little pincushion production party!



To make the process go a bit faster, I pulled out my orphan block suitcase and was able to grab some already sewn pieces to get me going.  (As you can see, it is almost time for a few more orphan block quilt - my suitcase is stuffed full!)



I started with these two made from bowtie scraps and leftover strip sets from my Burgoyne blocks.  They measure about 4" square.



I also found some leftover HSTs from my Summer Solstice quilt and the start to a block I abandoned for the Splendid Sampler QAL (which still is not completed!).



I made these two from some "cheater" fabrics I didn't use in one of my Layers of Charm quilts.  It came from the Modern Neutrals collection by Amy Ellis.



And finally I made a pile of pincushions using some leftover bits from my Improv Stripes quilt.

In no time at all, I had a dozen more pincushion gifts to share!





Linking Up:

20 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

How fun! Those are cute, especially the leftover stripey ones. I've been wanting to make a long, thin pincushion - thanks for the inspiration!

gayle said...

Love them all, especially the ones made from the stripy bits! You're making me want to go on another pincushion binge of my own. And I highly recommend the long thin versions - I made one last year that's affectionately referred to as "the log", and it's everyone's favorite. (Hmm... I should make more...)

a maidenhair fern said...

Cute pincushions. I didn't realize the star looking one was HST. I'll have to try that. It's so fun to make pincushions with left-over scraps, it give you a reminder of the quilt you make using those fabrics. Nice!

scraphappy said...

So many pin cushions! They are beautiful.

Karen's Korner said...

Now I know what to do with those orphan blocks that have been sitting around for years. Thanks for the inspiration.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's a great way to use up some scraps! I would be pleased to be gifted any of those pin cushions. (hint! hint!) LOL

Turid said...

How fun! But you didn't use much of your orphan blocks. My blocks are too big for pincushions, so I have to use them for pot holders.

Libby in TN said...

What an inspiration! I would love to give all my quilty friends a pin cushion for Christmas. I might even send you one.

Louise said...

Very cute batch! What do you stuff yours with?

Vic in NH said...

Black walnut shells make for a very fine pincuxhion filler when and if they are available.

Barb Neiwert said...

Gotta love all these pincushions! I need to make some more, too!

Cheryl said...

What fun pincushions! You have inspired me to make some.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

YES! So fun and a clever way to use out scraps or even leftover/UFO blocks.

Jayne said...

What a great idea having a basket on hand full of pin cushions! You are so smart! I was thinking it would be fun to have a pin cushion swap for our guild retreat! Making them can be quick and there are so many amazing ideas out there!

Kathleen said...

Those will look very nice all together in a basket! Love them. Do you stuff them with walnut shells, or polyfil?

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great idea for a gift.

Mary Marcotte said...

I keep a basket of pincushions for the same purpose. They are so much fun to make and a great use of scraps. These are too cute!

Mystic Quilter said...

These pin cushions are so cute, great gifts!

Jasmine said...

Super cute! What do you fill your pincushions with?

Kate said...

A great way to use up those orphan blocks. You've got some cute ones there.

01 09 10