Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Simple Starts

 Now that I am making quilts to donate to my local hospital, I have been looking around my sewing room for some simple starts for future quilts.  One of the first ideas I came up with was making some 16 patch blocks.



I cut my binding at 2.5" wide and I always save any leftover pieces in a scrap bin just for them.  I have been using a lot of striped bindings lately and I thought they would make some really happy blocks.



I am pairing them with some white/low volume scraps.  I also pulled some other bright colors to see how they looked.


I am not in any hurry to finish these blocks.  I can just work on them as I find fabric scraps that will work.  I might make one quilt - I might make many quilts out of these blocks.  
Only time will tell :)

Today I received my first few donation blocks in the mail.  It was so exciting!  

The response has been amazing and I am so happy I am going to be able to share a bunch of different layout ideas for such a simple block.  I have the first quilt from my blocks almost completed and I already have almost enough blocks to start on the second.

Thanks so much for the support!



5 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That 16 patch is a Happy one!!!
and yay for more blocks!!
I have been donating to the Hospice that helped us take care of my mom - and they just love the extra love these quilts give.
I am so proud of you !!! you will be spreading so much love (well, even more than you already do!!!) Super great ideas!!!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The stripes do make very happy blocks. These blocks look like a perfect way to use up your binding scraps!

Mystic Quilter said...

Including the stripes is a great idea, they're so cheerful looking.

Ivani said...

You are making happy blocks with those strips.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun blocks, Cynthia! (Hiding my head, as I haven't made it to the post office with my blocks for you.)

01 09 10