Friday, September 26, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #9 Part Four Finish

The temperatures are finally cooling down here in the Pacific Northwest and we finally had some rain!  Oh how I missed the rain!!
I am so delighted I chose to make a 16-patch for this month's Scrap-A-Palooza quilt.  Some people see Fall as a time to get out their sweaters and wellies, but for me, it sends a signal to my brain that I need a quilt to snuggle under.  And a scrappy patchwork quilt like this 16-patch starts the season off perfectly!
 
I found it interesting that I used this same process last fall to make three quilts.  Here is a shot of the blocks getting put up on my design wall as they were sewn.









In Part One of this quilt, I shared how I seperate my leftover bindings and other 2 1/2" strips in a tub under my cutting table.  The bin was over flowing so that was the inspiration for this month's quilt.  











In Part Two, I shared a quick tutorial on how I sew up these blocks.









In Part Three, the blocks were finished up and a top was completed.  I also shared the process I use for balancing out colors when laying out a quilt.











Today, I am sharing the finished quilt!



And I even had some older fabric pieces I was able to use for the backing and the binding.

And now for a few statistics:
Size: 48 x 56"
Fabric: Leftover 2.5" binding strips. Each block has one print and one solid fabric
Total Pieces: Need 84 2.5" strips at least 21" long (makes 42 blocks)



100 Quilts for Kids 
Here is a photo of the 3 quilts I made last year.  All of these quilts went to support kids and I have decided to throw this month's Scrap-A-Palooza quilt on the pile getting donated to Bags of Love as part of 100 Quilts for Kids again this year.  The drive ends September 30th so get your quilts finished up and linked to Heather's blog at Quilts in the Queue.




Just a reminder, if you are ready to sew up some of your scraps, all of the quilts from the series can be viewed in the Scrap-A-Palooza quilt gallery tab above.  Not only can you see the quilt I made but I love to share what others have done.  There is all sorts of inspiration!



If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!

11 comments:

Jasmine said...

Another great scrap quilt and a great use for bindings. (That represents a lot of quilts.) I'm keeping all of these in mind for future reference. :)

Heather said...

I love this pattern. I've made once and want to do more.

Vera said...

You are doing great job with all these scrappy quilts. Well done!

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Another great finish, Cynthia, and how awesome that you will be donating this quilt, too. I hope someone finds it warm and snuggly.

Shauna said...

simply beautiful, I love the colors, they remind me of the ocean

Barb Neiwert said...

Congrats - lovely quilt, and you used stash even for the backing and binding. Someone's going to love this quilt :)

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

It's so pretty - like watching trees reflected in a pool! And congratulations on the stash busting, it's always rather satisfying when you can make something out of just what you have at home isn't it!

Turid said...

Your quilts are just great. I love scrap projects.

Audrey said...

Wow fantastic, Cynthia!! Thanks for sharing at TGIFF Linky Party!

Karen H said...

All of the 16 patch quilts are fabulous - I'm always so excited to see what can be done with scraps and leftovers! Thanks for sharing your process for making these quilts!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What great quilts made from such wonderful scraps. I went back and read through your progress posts for this. Thanks for sharing. And you are so good to donate quilts as well Cynthia.

01 09 10