Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday Finish - Design Boards

I have been wanting to make up some design boards using Lori Holt's tutorial for quite a few years now.  So this week, I dug out all the supplies and got to gluing.



I had three 20 x 30 poster boards so I decided to cut one 20 x 20 and two 10 x 10 squares from each board.  That gave me a total of 6 cute little boards to use for small blocks. 



And three large boards for bigger projects. I also plan on using these for photography so I have a white side...




...and a dark gray side.




I would love to have a few more but all that hot gluing was not much fun.  I much prefer using a sewing machine to assemble things!



I already used one of my large ones to put together a sample board for an English Paper Piecing class I am teaching in March.  Not what I made them for but it worked great!

BTW - If you are in the Eugene area and want to take the class, let me know!

Now, back to sewing!

Linking Up:

Crazy Mom Quilts (Finish it up Friday)





15 comments:

Linda said...

Very cool! I have 2 hot glue guns, which you would think indicates experience, but I still burn myself

Bernie Kringel said...

I made one of these and love it. I could use one that is a bit bigger tho. We always have that foam core board around the house left over from kids' school projects. Works great for this sort of thing

Barbara Konkle said...

This is a very cool idea! We live in a small space so a design wall does not work. This is a fantastic idea!

gayle said...

I've been meaning to make some of these, too, but have procrastinated. But seeing yours is inspiring and might be the push I need! I hadn't thought about using them for photographing - excellent idea!

Ruth said...

Love this idea - looks so handy!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those do look fun and useful for lots of different purposes! I went over and read her tutorial, and loved when she got to the part about covering the edges in fabric and said if you're going to make something, you might as well make it cute! Yours look cute with the different fabrics around the edges! Hopefully, that made all that glue worth it.

Debbie At The Quilt Journal said...

Great idea- and it's portable if you are taking a class or something and want to lay out your pieces in order....love it!

Turid said...

So cool! I've seen Lori Holt's instructions, and would like to make some myself. But I don't find cardboard at all in Norway. Maybe I can use something else?

Shauna said...

I keep saying I'm going to make some of these, yours look great!!!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

They look great. I keep saying I'm going to make some, but I never get around to it.

Pamela said...

I said the same exact thing after making my design boards! They sure are handy, though!

Izzy said...

Those boards are so much fun!!! I think I might have to make myself a couple. :-)

Mary Marcotte said...

Your design boards are genius. You'll really enjoy having them for classes and no doubt they will come in hand for small projects. I like them so much, I may have to make one or two of my own.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What an awesome idea! And look, you're already using yours! Thanks for sharing the link so we can join in the fun.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Ack! I've been meaning to make some, too. I look forward to seeing how they work out as backdrops for photos. : )

01 09 10