Friday, August 26, 2016

From Bits and Pieces

I received an email from one of the charities I support that they were in need of some larger sized quilts.  As I was pulling a few from the stacks of quilts that cover every surface in my house, I realized how fortunate I am to have so many wonderful friends and clients.  Because of their generosity, I am able to donate a large number of quilts each year.  
Why?  Because they give me their bits and pieces!



This quilt I just finished sewing on the binding is a perfect example.  




 It started out as some strip sets that were left over from a client's project.



 I added them to some other leftover fabric that was given to me to create these scrappy blocks.



There was even enough fabric to create a scrappy border.  
Because I have a longarm, quilting is never a big obstacle for me.  
This one was quilted with the Popcorn pantograph.




And I finally found a home for another old stash piece I thought I would never use.
 (Insert happy dance....)




Maybe these quilts from bits and pieces will never win any awards but the generosity behind them certainly makes them  special.  A big heartfelt thanks to all those who support my orphan block and scrap addiction.




Hopefully these quilts will be give comfort to someone who needs it!  (I just wish there wasn't such a demand...)



A side note to my friends and clients....Please! This is not a solicitation for more enabling.  While I am sure it is fun to see my eyes light up when you arrive with "treasures", there is only so much room in my house.  Please keep the "treats" to a minimum or I will get absolutely nothing accomplished!  :)

Happy Friday Everyone!

Linking Up:

Crazy Mom Quilts (Finish it up Friday)
Finished or Not Friday




18 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I absoluelty love this quilt! One would think you planned it all along instead of just using scraps:-) Lucky you to get your friends cast offs, LOL

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I had already broken down your construction of this one - I get a lot of donations and this would be a perfect pattern to use them for charity quilts.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It turned out beautifully. I really like scrap quilts - they are so much more interesting than ones made just from collections.

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

It turned out really nice, and it's always great to use up pieces. While some of the credit goes to others for giving you scraps, your hard work in making them into quilts deserves recognition, as well. Great job!

gayle said...

You really do make excellent use of your scraps! That's a beautiful quilt!

Kat said...

Love it! Great scrappy design

Allison said...

That is a lovely quilt and great that it's not gender or age specific. I'm sure the charity will have no trouble matching it to a needy recipient.

Suze said...

Bless you for taking time to do that for those in need. I'm in agreement in wishing there was not such a need. Last night I was watch 60 Days In where people go into prison who are not really inmates and no one inside the prison knows that, so they are treated by everyone there as an inmate. One comment made last night was that the inmates are someone in prison because they fit in there - they do not fit in society. That really struck a cord with me. How sad that those people do not fit into society. It's not just people who have made a bad choice; they are really misfits. I'm sure that's an over generalization. I watch lots of crime shows because I find them interesting because I am a survivor of a horrible crime and it's amazing to see how sick most of them really are. Some of the people commit crimes because they cannot survive on the streets; need medications and cannot get them; need something they find while imprisoned. It's sad that we have come to not being able to help each other enough. I'm not saying we need a social government. I'm just saying we need to be compassionate. God bless you for the role you are playing.

Sue SA said...

Sounds like a win win situation to me, clients get rid of scraps, you get to make more quilts to give away and someone gets a beautiful quilt. Well done everyone!

Jenny said...

It is so nice that you have the time to make these charity quilts, with everything else you do. LOve the latest one, and the people in need will certainly cherish your gifts.

Lesley Gilbert said...

What a great use of scraps - it will make someone feel loved and happy :)

Mari said...

This is so cute! And all from scraps! The recipient will certainly appreciate it, though I also wish there was not such a great need. Our foremothers would be proud!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that color combination - the blue, browns, and cream. It will make a lovely quilty hug for someone who needs it. Thank you for inspiring the rest of us to give like you do!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your quilt turned out very pretty and will be much loved. Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

Lynn said...

That's a great pattern, though your lovely choice of fabrics really shows it off well. Peoples' leftovers, lucky happenstance/serendipity?

Kate said...

Great colors! It's good that you can find a home for the left overs, and such a pretty one too. Congrats on a great finish.

Vic in NH said...

I appreciate your sense of color harmonies to make this quilt look so planned and well thought out.

Jasmine said...

I've been hiving fun doing some catch-up reading after my summer break. Your blog is always so inspiring. I love how you used these bits and pieces.

01 09 10