Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Summer Solstice - Drunkard's Path Blocks

This week I have been painfully reminded that sewing curves is NOT a strength of mine!  You would think there would be improvement after sewing 144 blocks - but I never was able to get them to turn out perfectly.



They are not terrible but many of them are a bit on the small side.  I may need to resew a few when it comes time to assemble the block.  With my two colors of background and my specific color placement, keeping track of all the components for each block has been a bit of a challenge.  But I am hoping it will all be worth it in the end.  I think assembly of the big blocks should start soon!





These blocks are part of the Summer Solstice Quilt Along with Melissa over at Happy Quilting.  If you want to see how others did with their blocks, you can check out the link here.






I seem to be delinquent on a number of my projects this month.  I am hoping to spend some time this afternoon to sew up a few of my Splendid Sampler blocks - I think I am about 6 blocks behind!

I had better get to sewing!



Linking Up:

12 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

In terms of curves, I really believe that bigger is better. Those look too tiny for me (I would probably have my blocks a bit on the small side, too). I am also feeling behind in my sewing this month, too, Cynthia! Interesting how that happens. I hope you had a great afternoon of productive sewing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I have never done any curved piecing, but it is definitely on my list to try. There are so many neat layouts you can do with the drunkard's path blocks. I hope these work out for you because the color is so fun and I'm looking forward to seeing where this project is going!

Jenny said...

Good on you - I haven't sewn curves for a long time. Probably because I like to pin within an inch of my life. Keep on keeping on, and we look forward to the next step.

Charlotte M. said...

They look good to me. I had a bit of a struggle with mine, but I think by the last one I had improved.

SandraC said...

I've been putting off my drunkard's path blocks :(
I'll have to get at it since this quilt is meant to be a gift in the Fall

Melissa Corry said...

They look great!!! And I am sure you will be able to squeeze in the slightly smaller ones to make it work. And way to go to get all 144 done!!! That is a lot of curves ;) And I can not imagine keeping that all straight with the 2 backgrounds, it is going to be just stunning when it all comes together!! Great job!!!

Jayne said...

I haven't done enough drunkard path blocks to become comfortable with making them either. I always feel like I have to relearn every time I need them! I'm sure it will all come together and look beautiful...maybe a few re-do's, but worth it...right?!

em's scrapbag said...

I love the colors you have chosen and agree with Melissa it is going to be a stunning quilt.

Gina said...

I have to confess to hand piecing drunkards path blocks. I find it quicker and easier in the end

Barb Neiwert said...

144? This calls for a celebration, regardless of whether or not some are too small. What a project and it will be beautiful. Kick your feet up now - you deserve it!

gayle said...

(Psst - they're *drunkard*'s paths - they should be a bit wobbly...)
Your blocks look mighty good from here. And what perseverance to piece that many!
I haven't tried sewing curves in a long time. I did a modified NY Beauty years ago that involved more than a little cursing. 8)


Kate said...

I've been too chicken to try curves, so you are way ahead of me. At least you've made the effort. They don't look really good to me. Hope you were able to get in some stitching time this week.

01 09 10