Thursday, July 16, 2015

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #17 Part Two

Just to refresh your memory - for this Scrap-A-Palooza quilt, I am using up some black and white prints and some leftover solids.  I didn't really have a firm idea in my mind what this quilt was going to look like so I thought I had better come up with my final block design and share it with you.




 I have quite a few more scraps of the black and white that are not shown in this picture.  Many are long strips and smaller chunks.

 First, I just decided to sew a bunch of the strips together into an 8" block.




I found these blocks not very inspiring...




 And when something isn't working for me, I get out the rotary cutter and start slicing!




 I swapped around some pieces and sewed them back together.  I like this a whole lot better!




I decided to trim them down to 6 1/2".  
I just used the 45 degree line on my ruler and squared them up. 




I then cut 1 1/2" and 2 1/2" strips from a solid and framed them.  I do like offset blocks!









Next I just need to sew a bunch of these blocks up so I can start playing around with a layout.  I think I will also add some solid white and black strips into the centers.  I know I have some scraps of each.

Now that I have a plan, I realize I only need to cut my initial strips at about 7 1/2", which gives me plenty of play when squaring up the blocks. Don't want to waste any of those scraps!








These blocks will finish out at 9".  I think I will sew up 42 blocks and see what I can do with them.  At that point, I can decide on the next steps.  Of course I will share what I come up with!


Scraptastic Tuesday


Don't forget to link your scrappy projects up with Scraptastic Tuesday over at She Can Quilt.  There are some pretty cool projects being shared!





Linking Up:

She Can Quilt


9 comments:

Jasmine said...

Love the look of these blocks. Kind of reminds me of quarter log cabin blocks.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that is going to be great! I like what you did with the B/w !!!

Gina said...

Like the look of them so far

Sandra Walker said...

I enjoyed (and appreciated_ the glimpse into your designing mind! I just love these colours together. I've been asked to bring the two wheelchair quilts I made for the seniors' residence to the guild meeting next Tuesday. I'll be sure to send the guild to your Scrap-a-Palooza page. I keep telling them about it. Maybe I should do a presentation on blogs...hmmm. Once I get the Bento Box quilt done, I should have lots of black and white scraps and then will have to cut into my small stash of solids to maybe try this quilt too. Think it will have lots of movement.

Jayne said...

There you go! I love the black and white blocks! Adding the solids is a perfect solution and really brightens it up!

Ruth said...

Interesting plan - love the idea of black and white with a pop of colour!

Vera said...

oh, I want to see more already! :)

Nicky said...

Seems like a good plan! And a great way to use up your scraps. Thanks for sharing at #scraptastictuesday

Barb Neiwert said...

I wish I didn't have so many irons in the fire right now, or I'd join you on this on! Fun way to add some pizzazz - slice and sew back together!

01 09 10