Friday, August 18, 2017

Parsons Patchwork

Sometimes Simple is the Best Choice!





While recently cleaning out some project boxes, I came across a whole bunch of leftover fabric from various Parsons Gray collections.  I had forgotten they were stashed away.

I decided to get them out and turn them into a quilt.  Some of the prints I had only small chunks of while other pieces I had almost a yard.

I decided I would just keep it simple and cut some 6" squares.


The nice thing about simple patchwork is you have a lovely quilt in no time at all. 
I really like how this one turned out.  



I tried not to worry too much about having similar prints right next to each other.  However, I did try to balance out the colors.  And I also didn't want to adhere to a strict light/dark layout so I added in a few extra dark squares.




It was really hard to capture the quilting on this but I did some swooping curves in an ivory thread.  



Somewhere along the way, I had picked up a backing knowing I would need one and stashed it in the box too.  For the binding, I used a light colored stripe.  I usually prefer a dark binding but it was the only print that I had enough of.



It was nice to turn all those leftovers into such a handsome quilt.  It has no home so I just listed it in my Etsy shop.  I am currently inundated with stacks of quilts around here so my quilts are priced to move!  Need a gift for someone?!



Busy Hands Quilts (Finished or not Friday)

20 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love that fabric. A while ago, I bought a kit with Parsons fabric in it just because of the fabric. I don't buy kits but the fabric hit me over the head. I still have to quilt it. Your quilt is just so simply beautiful.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That looks great - its a beautiful palette of color!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like to do this too with squares that I have - it is a good way to use pre-cut squares or from the stash

Tami Von Zalez said...

I agree that sometimes simple is the best choice. I like the fabric to shine on its own but when it is overly quilted the stitches take over.

Judy Sturm said...

I love simple quilts with beautiful fabrics. Your quilt is gorgeous!

Vicki in MN said...

OK now I am jealous, I want to go whip something up for the heck of it!! this one is so fun even though it is just squares.

tisha @ quiltytherapy said...

I love a good simple patchwork quilt!

cityquilter grace said...

i'd say you nailed it perfectly!

Jayne said...

Again you turned nothing into something amazing! I haven't quilted anything in weeks and something simple might be just what I need to get me going again!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Ditto what everyone above said! I love the color and simple patchwork of this quilt - simply beautiful! And those are fun to make, too!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great colour palette! And yes, sometimes simple is the perfect way to go!

CathyQuilts said...

To me, those fabrics are not attractive at all. But gosh, they sure make a lovely quilt!!

Karen's Korner said...

You always turn leftovers into something gorgeous.

Jo said...

The colours are lovely. It's a great guys quilt

Ellie said...

Really pretty quilt! The simplicity let's the fabrics shine.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Cynthia,
What a beautiful quilt. Isn't it nice when it comes together so easily - the backing is perfect - everything is. I'll bet it sells in no time. ~smile~ Roseanne

Mystic Quilter said...

Great quilts - I'm sure you'll have a buyer in no time for this.

Podunk Pretties said...

Who doesn't love simple, it's classic and wonderful. Wish I had the time to make one right now.

Sandy Panagos said...

Isn't it fun coming across surprises like that in your sewing room? You end up with great quilts like that one!

Jasmine said...

I've been in the mood for simple patchwork too. This is a great masculine quilt.

01 09 10