Friday, November 15, 2019

Turning Bits into Beauty

Last month, I shared some blocks I made from some scrappy leftovers a friend gifted me.
At the time, I was able to sew them into blocks but it wasn't until this month that I put the blocks together.  Are you ready to see this cute little finish!?


Here is a bit of back story.  I was gifted a bunch of trimmed off bonus triangles and some 1.5"ish strips from the side of some layer cake squares.


I quickly turned them into these fun 7" squares but due to other priorities, the project was hidden away so that I could finish some other items.


Once I had time to get the blocks back out, I sewed them up on point so that the strips on the sides of the block made a fun scrappy sashing.


That meant I had to sew a few more strips to the outer edge blocks which made sewing in the inset triangles a bit challenging.  Plus, some of my strips were not quite long enough.  

What to do?  I just trimmed those points right off and made it a design element!



I then added a small background border in Kona Shadow so the blocks float.  I bound it in an orange sketch print and quilted it with a panto called Popcorn.



I found a cute black and white print for the backing which looked like it belonged with this collection of fabric.



I used almost every bit of the leftovers that were given to me.  I spent very little time cutting anything - I used the pieces in the size they were given to me.  

Those little bits just wanted to be turned into a cute little quilt!





Linking Up:




 The Big Sale 2019


25 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the way you used the sashing strips in this to break up the blocks - it turned out neat!

cityquilter grace said...

very nice use of somebody's castoffs...

julieQ said...

What a great idea for me...as I have plenty of half square triangles to put right into a quilt like yours! Lovely!

Kat said...

So cute! It’s always fun to play with gifted scraps and sometimes the call to make something is enough to distract you from a current project. I think you said that happened here. I love the results and I really like how the sashing seems to frame the setting triangles.

Wonderful quilt!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so pretty - love the orange, gray, and lime green together! I've been sewing with a little lime green this week, too - what a happy color! Lovely finish, Cyndy.

Chantal said...

Excellent use of these little bits. They do make a cute little quilt. Congratulations for another wonderful finish. ;^)

Jenny said...

What a great way to use those bits and pieces. The blocks look so much bettercset on point, great job!

Libby in TN said...

And it feels SO good to move those bits out! Perfect.

maryl said...

awesome quilt and I appreciate the "thought process" to your adaptations. What size did this "little" quilt turn out to be, please?

Mystic Quilter said...

Definitely a cute quilt and I love the chopped off points, adds interest!

Cathy said...

Great colors! The on point layout and floating blocks is a great design element to extend the scraps. What size is the quilt? You rock!!

Louise said...

It's just soooo fun to work with someone else's blocks, isn't it? You weren't tired of any piece of it when it arrived, so it was a fresh, new fun thing to do. I think that comes through in the final piece. It's fresh, new and fun! :)

KaHolly said...

I love working with someone else’s scraps, too! You did a great job using them up! Love this little creation!

Marianne said...

Turned out really cute! Love the quilting, Popcorn is one of my very favorite panto designs.

Frog Quilter said...

Very cute and love that you used them up.

chrisknits said...

How adorable! Just proves what we can do with scraps!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That turned out SEW darling!!

Sandy Panagos said...

That reallly turned out cute!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

That's a great way to use up scraps. It looks great.

Janice Holton said...

What a satisfying finish! No cutting, using up all the gifted scraps and ending up with a cute quilt. WIN/win/win! Love watching your creativity. :)

Ellie said...

That’s a really cute finish!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a super great quilt - and a great use of those triangles!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

I think this is brilliant!
I hope I will remember this idea, because I often receive bags of HSTs from people and don't know what to do with them.
Thanks for the inspiration, and congrats on a fabulous scrappy finish!

Preeti said...

Love this little beauty. A perfect little finish and I am sure it is very satisfying to use up all of this little pesky triangles.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very very pretty - and no cutting! what else could a quilter want!

01 09 10