Sunday, May 3, 2020

Oh Scrap! : Cleaning out the Old

I think I often give the impression that my fabric and my scraps are all organized and pretty.  But I am sharing one of my little secrets today...



I have two giant drawers that I hide underneath my cutting table that are stuffed with plastic bags full of miscellaneous scraps that I don't quite know what to do with.  Some are leftovers from a finished project.  Some are themed scraps like holidays or Charlie Harper prints.  And some are just colors I like together so I started collecting them all in one place.  

I rarely get into these scraps and the bins are getting packed tighter and tighter!



As I was considering what to make for another Hands2Help donation quilt, I decided to dig through there to see what I could find.  I came across these leftover woven plaids.  

I decided a while back to keep them grouped together because I thought I might have one more quilt I could make from the bits.  I decided now was the time to use them up!



 I pulled a lovely rust fabric from my stash and started a new project.  I am trying not to get too wrapped up in whether they "go" together.  I think just the fact that will be all plaids will tie these blocks together.  

My plan is to use the rust fabric to sew sashing between the blocks.  Hopefully I can stretch out all those fabrics and finish up a nice sized lap quilt!


It sure feels good to see these older fabrics put to good use.
Once this quilt is completed, I can mix the last of the plaids into my color bins and there will be one less bag in the drawer!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 
Quilting is more fun than Housework
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

16 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You always come up with great ideas for using up those scraps that have been hanging around for too long! I think the rust fabric will pull all those pretty plaids together. Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I think that's going to end up being a nice and cozy quilt, Cynthia. Good for you on finding a way to get rid of one more bag from that scrap bin!

Jayne said...

I think they go together and love the addition of the rust. What?! You have a secret stash of scraps?! I think half the battle of scraps is figuring out what direction to take them. Once that happens it's smooth sailing!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes actually I did think you had all your scrap stash nicely sorted and tidied away, Cynthia. But I'm not surprised there are yet more scraps in your room. As I was looking at them and what you've sewn so far (which are quite nice), I was wishing I could sort through them.

Tami Von Zalez said...

I've come to the realization I just don't like working with little scraps so I give them all away.
Thankful for you hosting this event, I've linked up!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love the plaid fabric, so pretty, the blocks
look good with the plaids and rust. Have
a great day!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a great block to use them all up! Isn't it crazy how the scraps just grow and gorw and grow?

Bonnie said...

Ah yes, it's always great to use scraps. Let me know if you run short and need a few more woven plaids. (Homespun, right?) I'd be happy to send you however many of whatever size squares you need. I have a whole box of them! Let's see, I think I have the purple and green; the red, green and beige, and probably one more.... I've been thinking it's time to make up a nice masculine quilt or two. Good luck with yours.

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing about your scrappy secrets! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with these.

Nann said...

I know what you mean about not knowing quite what to do with some fabrics -- take one more look at them and think that with a little creativity they could be come something interesting....so back in the stash they go. I love homespun woven plaids and your design gives me ideas....

dq said...

Good for you in saving your scraps in such an organized way. If the pieces are too small, even cutting the backs off of flying geese, go in the garbage sometimes at my house. I know I could make some things out of them, but I get lazy. It is good that you don't. Your plaid quilt will be fantastic!

Susan said...

Would you be surprised to know that my scraps are organized pretty much the same? And, like yours, the drawers are getting full!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Those are very pretty fabrics. The lap quilt will be beautiful. I had some good success using scraps up last year when I made a couple of rag quilts. It was a fun project.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I think we all have fabric scraps stashed away like that. I certainly do. Love how the rust is looking with your plaids.

Susie H said...

Loving those plaid blocks. The rust is perfect running through them too.

Holly in Indiana said...

Not sure I can figure this block out. Looks kinda difficult.

01 09 10