Sunday, May 31, 2020

Oh Scrap! : Something New

As I am sitting at home with little distractions, I find myself doing a lot of thinking.
One subject I have been doing a lot of thinking on is voting.

The right to vote is the foundation to any democracy.


The 19th Amendment guarantees American women the right to vote.  Early in America's history, women were denied some of the basic rights enjoyed by male citizens.  Married women couldn't own property and had no legal claim to any money they might earn.  No female had the right to vote.
After decades of struggle and agitation, on June 4th 1919 the amendment was passed through Congress and it took over a year for states to ratify.  Thanks to a 23 year old representative in Tennessee (who listened to his mother), the amendment was adopted on August 18, 1920.  





I thought I would spend now until November appreciating my freedoms and the right I have to vote by making a quilt.  With each block I hope to educate myself and think about how my vote should be molding the future I want to see. 

Things need to change - America is not getting greater.
I hope that women celebrate 100 years of having the right to vote and start demanding a change.

If you want to make your own vote block, I used the Little Letters tutorial at Temecula Quilt Company. I just added a skinny frame around them.

And please, start planning now by ensuring your voters registration or by completing the process to vote absentee now so nothing will prevent you from your right.

Good luck telling this suffragette to ditch the vote and "<a href="http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/10/21/right-wing-med

Now I will step off my soapbox and dive into my pink scraps.




*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 
Quilting is more fun than Housework
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

20 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thank for the reminder about the Little Letters tutorial, Cynthia!!

Chantal said...

Well said. Bravo for speaking up. A vote should be used wisely. ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you couldn't have said it better. I think there are a lot of us that are very unhappy with our current situation in the political world and we certainly need a change - well said!

JaneRH said...

Thank you for your reminder on what a challenge it was for our foremothers to gain the right to vote. It is so important that we do not squander this right! Please vote!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You can be sure I'll be voting! I haven't missed an election since 18 year olds were granted the right to vote the year I turned 18. Love your word "Vote" in fabric, and thanks for the link to their letter tutorial, too!

Quilter Kathy said...

A wonderful and timely project! Thanks for inspiring women!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Love the photo, and the vote letters, and the sentiment! Voting is our right, our privilege, and our duty to our country.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Cynthia, I really like your post. I thought that you might be interested in this very old QAL that is still one of my UFOs. I think that Canada's 100th anniversary is coming up soon. I really do need get this one done. http://grandmotherschoice.blogspot.com/

LA Paylor said...

yes to your post! And I hope our votes are counted fairly. Seems like some people want power at any cost of integrity and legality.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, yeah, that voting thing is important. I have not missed voting more than a handful of times since I became eligible to vote way back when. And we need to remember that we need to exercise our votes to make sure we continue to have the right to vote!

Now, off to do something stitchy.

Vicki Lou said...

I love your idea of a “Get out the Vote” quilt and look forward to additional blocks! I live in MN where I vote by mail at every election without a hitch. It’s wonderful to have that opportunity and not have to worry about the weather or the time of day. I am unhappy about our political climate and want to see every vote count for change.
Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder that voting is a great privilege AND a great responsibility. ALL registered voters need to vote. We have ample examples of the difference a vote can make.

Robby said...

Yes! I look forward to watching this one develop. If I may, please don't skip voting in "little" local elections. This is where people get a foothold on getting to higher office and, frankly, start influencing our lives in bigger ways than many people pay attention to. Make your vote count every time.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Well said!!!

Louise said...

Hear, hear!

Barb N said...

Well said! My grandmother lost her inheritance - many acres of farm land- when her husband lost it in the Stock market crash of 1928-ish. She had no say. I always wondered how her life would have been different. And my mother's too. Our freedom and rights are definitely worth defending!

Kathy Pitts said...

And don't forget how important it is to fill in your census forms.

Bonnie said...

Brilliant. I agree 100%. It's sad to see the direction the US is heading. I've used my franchise to vote in all elections for many years now. And, I just registered for absentee ballot for an election coming up at the end of the month. Women -- let's lead the way! Let's vote come November and every election in between.

dq said...

Hello Cynthia. I love your "vote" post. It is good to be reminded that it is a privilege for women to vote and that it has not always been like that.

Sorry I threw in a link to a non scrappy project. I just wasn't thinking. Most of what I do is scrappy.

Have a great day!

gayle said...

Vote, vote, vote!
(I do it every single chance I get!!!)

01 09 10