Friday, October 10, 2014

Finish it up Friday!

With lots of fabric pieces left over from the Wild Side quilt I recently finished for 100 Quilts for Kids, I decided rather than put the fabrics in my stash, I would pair them with some black Kona and sew up some 16 patch blocks.  I used the same technique I shared in last month's Scrap-A-Palooza post but I cut the strips longer and went with a larger 3.5" square.




With some of the prints, I had enough fabric to make multiple blocks.  However, many I only had enough to make a block or two.  I came up two squares short so I was forced to use a black and white larger print (I think it might be cowhide?).  The print blended in a bunch with the black Kona so the definition on the blocks is a bit lost.  I tried to hide them a bit on the edges of the quilt.



The quilt finished up at 48" x 60" - A nice lap size.



For the quilting, I went with the Ebb and Flow pantograph again. It is quick and easy and mimics a tiger stripe.

 

And speaking of tiger stripe.  Look at the batik I found in my stash for the backing.  Talk about meant to be!  I am always amazed at what I can find when I dig really deep!








This quilt really went together quickly and I think it was a great use of the fabrics.

I am just happy to have another stack of fabrics off the shelf to make room for something new!







If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!
  

Linking up:  
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
she can quilt (Scraptastic Tuesday) 




14 comments:

Jasmine said...

I am drawn to your fabric and can't wait to get working on the wild side quilt for my oldest. Another wonderful finish.

Anita said...

Love it! I've got some wild prints I can do that with too :)

Rachaeldaisy said...

That is such a fun quilt, it's such a great way to use those animal prints. Congratulations on finishing a quilt.

KMSC said...

What a great way to use up scraps! Thanks for the inspiration!

Rachel said...

I really like that batik on the back! Having the black in all the squares really lies the whole thing together. Nice work.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Great Combination!!!

Liz said...

Love how that batik on the back complements the animal prints! I am consistently amazed by all your finishes, and your adept use of scraps! Great finish!

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

The backing is so perfect for this quilt! Another great finish!

PugMom said...

I'm a major animal print fan and I love your quilt. The backing is perfect!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Wow, I love what you did with this, Cynthia! I'm not usually a fan of animal prints, but I really like how you paired them with the black -- very striking! So glad you linked up to TGIFF!

hydeeannsews said...

Yay for destashing and for one wild finish competed!

Cath said...

Oh wow, that is such an eye catching effect....I love it!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

What a great way to use animal prints! So glad you rejuvinated this post under our zebra theme this week!

Lorna McMahon said...

What a perfect way to show off those beautiful animal print fabrics. This is such a handsome quilt, Cynthia. Lovely design!

01 09 10