Friday, January 19, 2018

Sewing up the Old Stash

Today I have another finished quilt to share made from my older stash.  I used up all of the leftover scraps from a bunch of brown and blue fabric so now it is gone - gone - gone!  WooHoo!!



I couldn't take any outdoor photos because it has been raining so much there is water standing everywhere.  So you get to see this finished quilt draped over my longarm frame.



I used my favorite "hashtag" inner border in a chocolate brown solid.  The great thing about this method is you can use any width of inner border and it doesn't require any math to figure the outside border.  (Sorry the photo looks so odd - the quilt edge was partially laying on the floor)



There really are a lot of different fabrics in this one.  It feels so good to get these "unloved" older fabrics into a quilt that can now be used.



On the back I did end up using a single fabric from my stash.  I thought I could scrape out a pieced backing from old leftovers, but it was just getting too complicated.  This crazy yardage worked perfectly!

Now it is time to dig through my project boxes and see what else I can move forward and finish.
I started 2018 with 16 UFOs and hope to finish the year closer to 10.
(I am laughing as I write that..........)

But it could happen!




Linking Up:


22 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

A great finish! It could totally happen that you finish all 16 UFOs this year!

Ann said...

String quilts are a wonderful way to use up old fabric. And this may be old but it doesn't look its age. Congratulations on a lovely top. I hope to see the finish soon.

Robby said...

This is a great quilt. Thanks for the tip about that border, thanks.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

These browns and blues look so luscious together...such a pretty finish. And I wish I had stash like you!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I really love the quilting motif you used. Lovely finish!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats really pretty old stash!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the different blues, browns, and prints together in this quilt, Cyndy! You really could write a book about string quilts! Beautiful finish!

Jo said...

Great finish .. I love the backing

Barb Neiwert said...

What a fun quilt! The blues and browns are great together, and I love the sashing to break it up. You can get a good grasp of your UFOs this year. Thing is, finish them first before starting something else. Doh! Did I just say that? Silly me - impossible!

Ivani said...

Another beautioful String quilt, the backing is perfect for it, You did great with old blue and brown scraps. ♥

The Joyful Quilter said...

Unloved?! This is an AWESOME color combination!!! Your quilt makes me want to run empty my scrap bins for those colors and get sewing. LOVE it!!

Chantal said...

I love blue. I love blue and brown. Your quilt is gorgeous and not just because of the colors. Very masculine. Quickly done too. At the rate you are going so far, I wouldn't be surprise if you finish all of the 16 UFOs this year. ;^)

Louise said...

I love how the quilting motif goes so well with the mod backing fabric! Very mid-century Modern :)

Anonymous said...

That's a great looking quilt. I like your border solution and might use that, if that's okay. Thanks for sharing.
cindy

Sandy Panagos said...

I love blue/brown quilts. I didn't know that kind of border had a name. It makes sense. And that crazy backing fabric DID work perfectly!

PaulaB quilts said...

Love the complementary color scheme, one of my favorites. Hooray for using the whole pile!

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on using up all those gifted fabrics. Love the backing and the border. So fun to have a finish!

Pamela Arbour said...

That really turned out nice. I always look forward to seeing what you will come up with next with your scraps.

Kat Scribner said...

All those leftovers made a beautiful quilt. You always do great things with leftovers.

Vicki in MN said...

They may have been unloved fabrics, but they sure made a lovely quilt!

Cathy said...

Another fabulous magic quiltthat turns unloved scraps into a gorgeous finish! I love that hashtag inner border idea, too. Mental note made! And I know you’ll get your UFO number down!

Debra Dixon said...

Great color combination and finish!

01 09 10