For this month's A Lovely Year of Finishes goal, I was hoping to turn this pile of fabrics into a quilt. It has been so long since I allowed myself to work on newer fabric just for the fun of it. I definitely enjoyed this project!
I started out with these four fabrics. Each are a 1/2 meter cut. I wanted to come up with a design that used up a majority of the fabric. Any other fabric used in the quilt had to come out of my stash. (I love to give myself challenges like this - keeps my brain sharp!)
Here is the fun quilt I came up with. It is fairly large at 56" x 64". For the blue trim, I used a Robert Kaufman Quilter's Linen (my fave!) and the cranberry fabric came out of my stash.
The prints in these fabrics are simply adorable! I was glad I was able to come up with a pattern that kept the pieces large so these prints can really be enjoyed.
Another challenge I faced with these fabrics was this print. It is a border fabric so there was just a single strip available. I tried many designs to showcase these better but decided I liked this layout the best. I like the asymmetry it gives to the quilt.
I had just enough of the cranberry fabric to use as the backing. It took some creative piecing but I was able to make it work.
So not only did I finish my September ALYoF goal but I met the challenges I gave myself for this quilt! Plus I got a pretty cute quilt out of the deal...
I so enjoyed working with these newer fabrics! As soon as I finished this quilt, I grabbed a Happy Go Lucky layercake I have been saving and started cutting in to it. I will be sharing my plans soon....
If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!